Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Silver

Step Upgrades or new install

We are about to upgrade our 6.1.2 to 7.1.3 but need to upgrade first to 6.1.3 then 7.1.3. as per previous blogs, also we have also upgraded our system over time from the initial I think 6.0 - before I joined. the question I have -

1. Is there any benefit and can it be done to reinstall a clean Version as close to our 7.1.3 as possible so in the event we need to re-install from a single ISO source opposed to use the original source 6.0 and then upgrade various times ?
  2. What about the Database- If we need to rebuild using the newer  single ISO 7.x.x can we do a DRS based current 6.1.2 or does Cisco need to be involved?

Example when we had to re-install our lab we had to install 6.0 and then upgrade several times to the current version, in production I would rather try to reduce the upgrades in the event of a major outage

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Super Bronze

Re: Step Upgrades or new install

When you sat an "installable 7.1.3b" , are you saying this is a new 
install as such so in the event we have to rebuild we can just rebuild 
using this DVD instead of going through the upgrade steps from 6 to 

If you have installable media, then it would be a new install at whatever point in the future that you needed to rebuild a node and do a DRS restore. You can use the installable media for upgrading you current install in-place as well. There is no need to do a fresh install at this time to get upgraded to 7.1.3.

The only reason we have this distinction between bootable/installable (physical media) and upgrade-only (available for download) is that Cisco tracks the royalties they have to pay through how many DVDs they ship physically. The contents are virtually the same but since the downloads cannot spawn a new installation, Cisco can safely not pay royalties to RedHat and all other underpinning vendors for every download.

3 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Is there any benefit and can it be done to reinstall a clean Version as close to our 7.1.3 as possible so in the event we need to re-install from a single ISO source opposed to use the original source 6.0 and then upgrade various times ?

I would say no here. The bridged upgrade path will put the end-result installation at an identical state as a clean install. The exception to this would be if you were coming from 5.0 where the underlying disk was partitioned less efficiently.

What about the Database- If we need to rebuild using the newer  single ISO 7.x.x can we do a DRS based current 6.1.2 or does Cisco need to be involved?

You can only do a DRS restore to the exact version it was backed up from. If you did a clean install and wanted to do a DRS restore to it, you would first need to upgrade to that version and perform a DRS backup.

Your PUT order should have provided you installable 7.1(3) media. You can use that as single-step restore media if you had a failure post-upgrade. Of course it won't really be single-step because you will be installing a patch right away anyways, likely 7.1(3b)SU2. At least all of the 6.0 and 6.1 stuff will be behind you at that point.

Silver

Hi

Thanks for the  reply

When you sat an "installable 7.1.3b" , are you saying this is a new install as such so in the event we have to rebuild we can just rebuild using this DVD instead of going through the upgrade steps from 6 to 7.1.3. I presume this "installable" DVD is in fact an upgrade in real terms so our DB - user details etc is kept the same 

VIP Super Bronze

When you sat an "installable 7.1.3b" , are you saying this is a new 
install as such so in the event we have to rebuild we can just rebuild 
using this DVD instead of going through the upgrade steps from 6 to 

If you have installable media, then it would be a new install at whatever point in the future that you needed to rebuild a node and do a DRS restore. You can use the installable media for upgrading you current install in-place as well. There is no need to do a fresh install at this time to get upgraded to 7.1.3.

The only reason we have this distinction between bootable/installable (physical media) and upgrade-only (available for download) is that Cisco tracks the royalties they have to pay through how many DVDs they ship physically. The contents are virtually the same but since the downloads cannot spawn a new installation, Cisco can safely not pay royalties to RedHat and all other underpinning vendors for every download.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content