Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggestions for new UC Deployment to replace Trixbox

fieryhail
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I'm looking for some suggestions as far as a Cisco based solution to replace an existing Trixbox Pro system.  Trixbox Pro combines quite a lot of features in a single-box system, so I'm looking at several MCS boxes to achieve a similar solution.  One of the issues that's coming into play is that they're also using a system LYRICall with Aspect UC with Trixbox.

I'm looking at a CUCM server, CUCX, CUPS and possibly a CUCCX system.  They currently have numerous DS1s being brought in (by different vendors).  3 are TDM, and it appears 2 more are supplying a SIP trunk via an Edgemarc device.  Is it possible to bring a SIP trunk directly into CUCM 7 from an Edgemarc?  Or do I require a CUBE in between?  I've setup a CUBE for interfacing with Bandwidth.com but not sure if that is necessary when the trunk is already terminated in an Edgemarc.  Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does the SIP trunk from Edgemarc require a REGISTER?  If so call manager cannot do that itself and you would require a CUBE.  If it does not then the trunk can go directly to call manager.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does the SIP trunk from Edgemarc require a REGISTER?  If so call manager cannot do that itself and you would require a CUBE.  If it does not then the trunk can go directly to call manager.

I'm looking at CUCMBE 7.1 based on the MCS7828-i$ appliance with CUWL for 50 Users.  This should fit them nicely for the time being with room to grow as they grow.  Also limits the number of MCS servers necessary.  A couple questions I have, one is dealing with remote users with a site-to-site VPN, and the other is with call capacity with BHCA.  I know they use an automated dialer that connects to 3 Adtran devices each with a T1, I'm told they can process up to 15,000 calls a day.  The dialer connects to their PBX via a SIP trunk and DN.  The dialer since it uses the Adtrans should not affect the maximum 3,600 BHCA rated for CUCMBE, correct?  The CUCMBE will be connected to the Edgemarc SIP trunk device.

Also, in regards to remote users, with a PIX525 at central site, would an 871 suffice for a site-to-site location where they could plug in a couple of IP Phones (2) and have them register with the CUCMBE at central site?  Any thoughts welcome as always, thanks again.

Btw, in regards to original post, no plans currently for CUCCX.  The Workspace licensing should suffice for CUPC clients connected to a separate CUPS 7 server if I am correct.  The CUPS 7 server would be an addon at a later point, but would be good to get any licensing taken care of now.  Also, in regards to the Workspace licensing, since it is a per-user model, am I correct that the CUWL would cover any type of Cisco IP Phone?  Whether it be a 7962, 7975 or 9971?  Also, how does CUCMBE affect multiple devices registered to a single user, such as a desk IP Phone, and an IP Communicator client for when they are mobile?  Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: