Views
Helpful
Replies

t1 trunk between asterisk and cisco

CSCO12008157
Level 1
Level 1

hi All,

i have implemented a ciscsolution running a cisco 2921router as the voice gateway to cucm 8.6.

the customer has an existing legacy system in Asterisk EIC. they want us to link these two systems together, however i have never done this before.

i have read general articles of linking the two via a t1 trunk, however, can anyone provide any specific details as to how i shoukd proceed?

so far have the available t1/e1 port on my router to facilitate the trunk, and i know i need to have the ethernet cable terminated with a t1 cross specification.

6 Replies 6

Hi.

Just out of curiosity.... why don't you use SIP between those systems?

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts

"The more you help the more you learn"

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Hi,

i also asked thi question. but i am working with the Asterisk provider, and he indicated that the verion they are running does will not support the SIP.

Hi.

Asterisk is a native SIP softswitch whatever version they are running

HTH

Regards

Carlo

oh i see.. well i dont have any experience with the asterisk part, so i kind of took his word for it..

but can the t1 work?

Hi.

Yes It could work but it's a little bit tricky

Sip is definitely easier

Regards

Carlo

he indicated that the verion they are running does will not support the SIP.

That's the largest bull cr@p I've ever heard.  Tell the Asterisk provider to prove it.   Agree with Carlo, Asterisk is very popular because it supports SIP.

but can the t1 work?

It can work but with difficulty.  The Asterisk box would have to talk (SIP) to CUCM.  But the main issue would be the phones hanging off and registering with the Asterisk.

What kind of phones are hanging off Asterisk?  I presume they are NOT Cisco otherwise you could've just registered these phones directly with CUCM.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: