cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Technology Prefix issue in UCM

kgroves42
Level 3
Level 3

This might be a pretty easy question, but it is giving me a hard time.  The issue I am having is I have 5 Digit extensions that begin with 43 and 44. I can put 43 as a technology prefix and my trunk will register to the gatekeeper and calls work fine to the extension that begin with 43, but not to ones that begin with 44. However it does not seem like it is possible to add a range (ie 4[34]) or have only a 1 Digit prefix (ie 4) in the technology prefix field. The Call Manager does not like the range and the gatekeeper does not like one digit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's not really the use of technology prefix

Technology Prefixes

A technology prefix is an optional H.323 standard-based feature,       supported by Cisco gateways and gatekeepers, that enables more  flexibility in       call routing within an H.323 VoIP network. The Cisco gatekeeper uses  technology       prefixes to group endpoints of the same type together. Technology  prefixes can       also be used to identify a type, class, or pool of gateways.

Cisco gatekeepers use technology prefixes to route calls when there  is       no E.164 addresses registered (by a gateway) that matches the called  number. In       fact, this is a common scenario because most Cisco IOS gateways only  register       their H.323 ID (unless they have Foreign Exchange Station (FXS) ports       configured). Without E.164 addresses registered, the Cisco gatekeeper  relies on       two options to make the call routing decision:

• With the Technology Prefix Matches option, the Cisco gatekeeper  uses           the technology prefix appended in the called number to select the  destination           gateway or zone.

• With the Default Technology Prefixes option, the Cisco gatekeeper           assigns default gateway(s) for routing unresolved call addresses. This           assignment is based on the gateways' registered technology prefix.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a8928.shtml#tp

It would help if you explain what you're trying to do as there is probable a better way to do it

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

We have CME's and PBX's around the world that are currently registered to a gatekeeper. We are now trying add a Call Manager Cluster to that network. 5 Digits Outgoing from the Call Manager seems to be working fine. However the issue is when other users call into the Call Manager Cluster the only calls I can get to work are calls that begin with 43. The reason is because I setup the technology prefix on the trunk in Call Manager to be 43.  The 43 then registers to the gatekeeper and incoming calls to the Call Manager start working. Is there a better way to set this up?

thanks

Ken

The technology prefix should not be used as part of the actual routing of the DNs.

The purpose of the field/config is to create groups

ie

1# are GWs

2# are video enabled GWs

3# are cucm trunks

This are then added to the number you dial and stripped by the GK.

You should take care of your routing using the zones configuration in the GK and not to rely in the tech prefix as an actual part of the DN you're trying to reach.

The Cisco gatekeeper uses technology       prefixes to group endpoints of the same type together. Technology  prefixes can       also be used to identify a type, class, or pool of gateways.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Thanks for the response. However out of curiosity how would you setup the Call Manager and gatekeeper if we had for example

5 Digit Extensions that begin with 43 and 44 on the Call Manager

5 Digit Extension that begin with 46 on one CME and 47 on another CME and so on.

and 5 Digit Extension that begin with 1 2 and 3  that forwards to another gatekeeper

Thanks

Ken

I won't give a full example but just the basics so you understand the high level concepts. I'll just show 1 route pattern, create as many as needed.

use tech prefix as 1# for all systems

In CUCM register the GK

RP with DN 4[67]...

CME dial peer with session RAS

destination pattern 4[34]...

gw-type-prefix 1#* default-technology

zone local CUCM cisco.com
zone local CME cisco.com
zone remote otherGK cisco.com 192.168.1.10 1719
zone prefix CUCM 43...
zone prefix CUCM 44...

zone prefix CME 46...

zone prefix CME 47...

zone prefix otherGK 1....

zone prefix otherGK 2....

zone prefix otherGK 3....

I have no idea about your zones so this is just a very generic example of how it could look

HTH

java

HTH

java

Thanks alot, that was what I was looking for, just something to get me started down the correct path. However since now I have been reading more docs about this, in particular, on connecting the CME's to UCM it looks like the way that is recommended is not via a gatekeeper but through inter-cluster trunks.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmetrans.html#wp1121608

thanks

Ken

You don't really use an ICT, just configure CME as an H323 GW and route calls to it.

From CME to CUCM a dial-peer voip pointing to CUCM.

That's all you need.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: