Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Testing CUCM upgrade from 7.1.3 to 8.6

Hi,

Our production environment is running a publisher and subscriber on version 7.1.3 on MCS hardware. We have to do a forklift upgrade to go to CUCM 8.6 on vmware (upgrading the MCS to 8.6, backup and restore to a VM running 8.6).

I would like to be able to test the upgrade process in a test lab. I have installed CUCM 7.1.3 on vmware and restored our production environment to it, this works well and can see our data. Unfortunatley when trying to upgrade to 8.6 the error says: licensing is in its grace period, and won't proceed with the upgrade.

This is due to our licenses being for a physical server and the test lab being virutal.

I found a hack to change the mac address in vmware, which I changed to the same as the production publisher.

Under OS Admin -> Show -> Network   there is a new field called 'License Mac' which is not present on our production environment. I think this is there because of vmware.

What are my options for testing a 7.1.3 -> 8.6 upgrade using a restore of production data?

How receptive are Cisco licensing at deploying license files for testing upgrades?

thanks again.

Everyone's tags (2)
1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Red

Testing CUCM upgrade from 7.1.3 to 8.6

Hi Leighton,

I don't think you have any choice but to work with;

licensing@cisco.com

on this one They have always been very good about this type of re-hosting

for us. Not always super quick but always good!

With VMware the license is created in a new/different manner that's why you are

seeing this "license mac"

Customer Impact from New Licensing Procedures

#

Cisco Unified Communications Manager on VMware on Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Servers uses a different licensing model than Cisco Unified Communications Manager on an MCS server. The MAC address of the NIC card is no longer used to associate the license to the server.

#

Instead, the license gets associated to a license MAC, which is a 12 digit HEX value created by hashing the following parameters that you configure on the server:

#

Time zone

#

NTP server 1 (or "none")

#

NIC speed (or "auto")

#

Hostname

#

IP Address (or "dhcp")

#

IP Mask (or "dhcp")

#

Gateway Address (or "dhcp")

#

Primary DNS (or "dhcp")

#

SMTP server (or "none")

#

Certificate Information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country)

This hash of these fields is called the LICENSE MAC

Note : Once there is a change in any of the parameters that creates the License MAC, it will

give you 30 day grace period to generate a new license file for the CM based on new license

MAC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_0_2/install/cmins802.html#wp584709

Cheers!

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content