Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Third party SIP phone options

Hi,

For a new low cost deployment, we would like to consider the option of third party SIP phones.

Our requirements are that the phones should have an extra ethernet port to connect the PCs. Preferably, the phones should support 2 lines.

Can you please give some recommendations based on your experience for some third party phones ?

Appreciate your time and help!!!

Thanks,

Bala.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

My experience - more work than it's worth

You will likely lose most features (why buy CallManager, pay licenses for each handset, and then not be guaranteed any compatibility on the handsets for features)?

You will lose easy management of firmware, and you will need to test each upgrade of CCM and handset firmware yourself...

Third party SIP handsets may be cheaper, but then... Asterisk is cheaper as well. If you don't intend to have a full Cisco solution it doesn't seem worth buying CallManager.

I would really only recommend using SIP handsets where/when I need to because those handsets can do something that a Cisco phone cannot.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

My experience - more work than it's worth

You will likely lose most features (why buy CallManager, pay licenses for each handset, and then not be guaranteed any compatibility on the handsets for features)?

You will lose easy management of firmware, and you will need to test each upgrade of CCM and handset firmware yourself...

Third party SIP handsets may be cheaper, but then... Asterisk is cheaper as well. If you don't intend to have a full Cisco solution it doesn't seem worth buying CallManager.

I would really only recommend using SIP handsets where/when I need to because those handsets can do something that a Cisco phone cannot.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks a lot for your words!!!

"I would really only recommend using SIP handsets where/when I need to because those handsets can do something that a Cisco phone cannot." - Nice judgement.

I will echo your views to our management !!!

nowadays, I am trusting the Netpro advice regarding buying choices more than I trust our account managers!!!

Thank you very much again!!!!

Cheers,

Bala.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: