cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Time of Day Routing Internal vs. External Calling and Translations

joshuamarsh
Level 1
Level 1

I am doing a UCM 7.01 implemenation for a school district. They are not using DID for their phones. They would like for their classrooms to be reachable by other extensions inside the school 24/7. They would like for external callers (routing through the auto attendant) to only be able to reach classroom extensions when school is out. Non-Classroom numbers should be reachable all the time.

My thinking was that I would do the following:

-Put 24/7 reachable extensions in the All-Extensions Partition

-Put the classroom phones in an Internal Partition

-Create a Catch-All partition w/ a time period so that it is only active during school hours

-Create a translation pattern of 2XXX and put it in the catch-all partition

-Create a gateway CSS w/ the order of All-Extensions, Catch-All, and Internal, so that the Catch-All translation pattern would siphon off all calls to internal extensions during school hours

My idea was flawed; however, because my most specific match is in the Internal partition, so it goes past the Catch-All and continues to ring the phone during school hours. If I were to put the opposite time schedule on the Internal partition, it would be unreachable by internal extensions during school hours, which is not acceptable.

The only solution I can find is to create specific patterns for every single classroom number in the Catch-All partition, but this seems like a very inelegant solution. Has anyone figured out a better way to pull this off?

Thank you,

Joshua

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shane.orr
Level 4
Level 4

My customer requirements were that during normal hours classroom extension were available from internal extensions all the time but from the auto attendant only accessible after classroom hours. In my case the auto attendant was through Unity So I created a specific Voicemail-CSS that is applied to VM Ports

I created the following Partitions

DuringHours-Translation-Classroom-PT (Time of Day Active during Classroom hours)

AfterHours-Translation-Classroom-PT

Classroom-PT

Internal-PT

Classroom-PT was applied to all classroom phones and Internal-PT was applied to all other phones.

Created the standard *XXXX setup to go direct to Voicemail with Internal-PT

Voicemail-CSS contained partitions in this order

-DuringHours-Translation-Classroom-PT

-AfterHours-Translation-Classroom-PT

-Internal-PT

**omitting the Classroom-PT

Created Translation Pattern 2XXX called party transform to *2XXX with DuringHours-Translation-Classroom-PT

Created Second Translation pattern 2XXX called party transform 2XXX with AfterHours-Tranlation-Classroom-PT

This is an exact match 2XXX so then it defaults to Partition order and selects the first translation pattern. So during classroom hours if an auto attendant call called a classroom phone it went to the classroom extension voicemail directly. After classroom hours the DuringHours-Translation-Classroom-PT is inactive so the classroom phone rang normally by going through the translation pattern with the AfterHours-Translation-Classroom-PT applied.

All other Calling Search Spaces not mentioned contained both Internal-PT and Classroom-PT so internal phones with any other calling search space could call DN's with either partition applied. All other CSS's not mentioned should also NOT contain either the DuringHours-Translation-Classroom-PT or AfterHours-Translation-Classroom-PT

My only snag was that MWI was not lighting up during classroom hours because it had the Voicemail-CSS so I created a specific MWI-CSS that just contained the Internal-PT and Classroom-PT so it could reach the extension all the time. I suppose I did not have to use a specific MWI-CSS and could have used one of my other CSS that my phones used but it made sense to do that at the time.

I thought about doing the method you mentioned of creating specific DN's in a particular partition that would be higher in the partition order that blocked or went to VM but I did not want my customer to have to remember to create an additional DN every time they setup a new phone so the method above was cleaner for me.

Hope that helps!!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

shane.orr
Level 4
Level 4

My customer requirements were that during normal hours classroom extension were available from internal extensions all the time but from the auto attendant only accessible after classroom hours. In my case the auto attendant was through Unity So I created a specific Voicemail-CSS that is applied to VM Ports

I created the following Partitions

DuringHours-Translation-Classroom-PT (Time of Day Active during Classroom hours)

AfterHours-Translation-Classroom-PT

Classroom-PT

Internal-PT

Classroom-PT was applied to all classroom phones and Internal-PT was applied to all other phones.

Created the standard *XXXX setup to go direct to Voicemail with Internal-PT

Voicemail-CSS contained partitions in this order

-DuringHours-Translation-Classroom-PT

-AfterHours-Translation-Classroom-PT

-Internal-PT

**omitting the Classroom-PT

Created Translation Pattern 2XXX called party transform to *2XXX with DuringHours-Translation-Classroom-PT

Created Second Translation pattern 2XXX called party transform 2XXX with AfterHours-Tranlation-Classroom-PT

This is an exact match 2XXX so then it defaults to Partition order and selects the first translation pattern. So during classroom hours if an auto attendant call called a classroom phone it went to the classroom extension voicemail directly. After classroom hours the DuringHours-Translation-Classroom-PT is inactive so the classroom phone rang normally by going through the translation pattern with the AfterHours-Translation-Classroom-PT applied.

All other Calling Search Spaces not mentioned contained both Internal-PT and Classroom-PT so internal phones with any other calling search space could call DN's with either partition applied. All other CSS's not mentioned should also NOT contain either the DuringHours-Translation-Classroom-PT or AfterHours-Translation-Classroom-PT

My only snag was that MWI was not lighting up during classroom hours because it had the Voicemail-CSS so I created a specific MWI-CSS that just contained the Internal-PT and Classroom-PT so it could reach the extension all the time. I suppose I did not have to use a specific MWI-CSS and could have used one of my other CSS that my phones used but it made sense to do that at the time.

I thought about doing the method you mentioned of creating specific DN's in a particular partition that would be higher in the partition order that blocked or went to VM but I did not want my customer to have to remember to create an additional DN every time they setup a new phone so the method above was cleaner for me.

Hope that helps!!

Excellent post. Thanks much!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: