cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Time Stamp on all the phones is wrong

cheajt
Level 1
Level 1

We're running CUCM Ver 7.1.5, the time stamp on all the phones is 4 minutes fast.  How do you resolve this issue?

Phones installed include: 7962, 7942, 7911, 7912, 7937, 7940, 7941.

Joaquin
23 Replies 23

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

SIP or SCCP load?

Is the time off from what CUCM is showing?

What is the firmware version?

Chris

Chris

SCCP42.9-1-1SR1S

I'm new at this, where do I find the CUCM time?

Joaquin

Use the command "show status" in the CLI or go to show > System in the OS Administration page.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth

Yes the time stamp is the same as the phones.

Joaquin

What does "utils show ntp" show? Make sure your CUCM is synched with NTP.

Chris

Chris,

I don't see "Utils" on any of the Pull Down Menus on the OS Administration page.  Under settings I see the NTP Server is the Publisher and the  Status="The NTPService is accessible". 

Joaquin

This is from CLI, loging via SSH to the publisher and issue this command.

Chris

Chris,

When I issued the command "utils show ntp" at the CLI admin: prompt

The sytem returns: Executed Command unsuccessful, No valid command entered.

Joaquin

Try:

utils ntp status

Gareth

My guess is that you'll end up referring to a new NTP server at the end of this. Etiher a self built one, or pointing to your windows DC.

Gareth

Gareth,

OK if that's where I'm going with this I think I'll call Cisco TAC for support, I didn't think this would be such a big deal with the time stamp.  Thanks to all for the help.

Joaquin

That got it, the time stamp is four minutes fast, just like the phones.

Joaquin

Cheajt,

If your NTP is not synchronized, the phones will use the time configured on the switch that they're directly connected to. You will need to verify your NTP source to fix the synchronization.

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

There really isn't much to setting an ntp reference in CUCM. You probably already have an NTP for your existing network switches, but if not, there are plenty of examples on the interwebs. I personally set up a small VM with CentOS just for ntp services for switches and UC devices. (Linux NTP Setup). Once that is done, follow this guide to configure the publisher for the new NTP server. Note that at the end, you will have to reboot the whole cluster:

"After deleting, modifying, or adding the NTP server, you must restart all other nodes in the cluster for the changes to take affect."

Gareth.

P.S: As I've just found out, Windows NTP servers are not supported:

Cisco recommends synchronizing Unified CM with a Cisco IOS or Linux-based NTP server. Using Windows Time Services as an NTP server is not recommended or supported because Windows Time Services often use Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP), and Linux-based Unified CM cannot successfully synchronize with SNTP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/netstruc.html#wp1185637

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: