Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TRAI Regulation on Cisco IPT

Dear Friends,

We are planning to implement the IPT on one of our customer, we are planning the below design but need some expert advise on this.

IP Phone (In India) -------> CUCM (In USA) ---->Gateway (In USA) to PSTN (USA).

No PSTN calls to India would be allowed from this IP Phone..

I would like to know if this setup is allowed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mkchandak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mohsin,

It depends on what the line of business is here. From what I understand, you would be using only US Gateway. If that is true, logical partitioning cannot be used here. If you have a setup where PSTN access would only be using an "non local gateway" (Meaning any Gateway that is not physically located at the same site as the phones), you need a special license called "OSP" (Other Service Provider). If you have this license you can use the setup mentioned above. Without this license, this setup is against TRAI Regulations.

HTHs.

Regards,

Mahesh

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Anurag Siddhu
Level 1
Level 1

i believe this is allowed  , i am 99.9% on this

Regards

Anurag Siddhu

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Logical Partitioning

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/9_1_1/ccmfeat/CUCM_BK_C3E0EFA0_00_cucm-features-services-guide-91_chapter_0100110.html

And that doesn't look like a design, it looks like a call flow.

From what you post, there's not even a GW or trunk in India from CUCM to make outbound calls.

If you mean, make calls half around the world from the phone sitting in India, registered to a CUCM server in USA, and the GW also in USA, just don't add route patterns to call India.

Or if you have phones sitting somewhere else that are allowed to call India, just use CSS/partitions for such route patterns accordingly.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

mkchandak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mohsin,

It depends on what the line of business is here. From what I understand, you would be using only US Gateway. If that is true, logical partitioning cannot be used here. If you have a setup where PSTN access would only be using an "non local gateway" (Meaning any Gateway that is not physically located at the same site as the phones), you need a special license called "OSP" (Other Service Provider). If you have this license you can use the setup mentioned above. Without this license, this setup is against TRAI Regulations.

HTHs.

Regards,

Mahesh

Hi Mohsin,

Just to add what Mr. Mahesh has said, making call from IP Phone in India across IP Network to US PSTN would incur Revenue Loss to Govt. of India.

Further to restrict ,PSTN calls in India from outside say USA , u can configure Logical Partitioning[same line for PSTN an VOIP]  which was primarily introduced for countries like India where Dept. of Telecommunications does not allow Voip calls to be conferenced on PSTN.

regds,

aman

Thank you Mahesh,

I know that Logical Partitioning cannot be implemented on this design. My question was if we use the US Gateway to receive and make calls where the phone is in India register to the US Cluster does the TRAI allows or not. As you have mentioned, we need to go with the OSP license to implement this..

Mohsin..

Hi Mohsin,

I visited the TRAI site and captured this DOC which says about IP telephony on page 18 fig. 2.6 but no clear cut info is there .

http://www.trai.gov.in/WriteReaddata/ConsultationPaper/Document/cpaper12may08.pdf

you can send your query on email /speak to concerned person , details are available at page 3.

regds,

aman

Aman,

Seems like is this only for the Service Providers?

"The service providers can use IP technology in their long distance network reducing cost of carriage and enhancing network efficiency. Such configurations for providing Internet Telephony are normally termed as VoIP. This type of network is becoming very popular especially on International long distance networks."

Hi,

It seems to be your requirement is inline with TRAI, if your connectivity between US & India is not via internet

--you should have procured MPLS or certain type of link from registered service provider in India.

-- IP Phones located in Indian end shouldn't able to call Indian PSTN numbers.

TRAI regulation samples:

-- You should maintain 1 year of CDR

-- The gateway or PBX configuration should be saved in uneditable format (am not sure how to do it) It should be furnished on request from TRAI

Thankyou

PC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: