cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transcoder & MTP

bijoyjackjesse
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for putting this theory question.. Can someone help me to understand the what exactly Transcoder and MTP's perform. I understood that Transcoder -( eg. converts codecs from G711 to anyother codec and vice versa.) but can someone tell what excatly does MTP do, and when is both MTP and Transcoders used. I tried to research but I could not get a clear idea about it. And does both MTP and Transcoder are required for MOH.

Thanks

Bijoy Jesse

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

MTPs media termination points are resources that are required to provide supplementary services support such as hold, dtmf, SIP early media detection, etc for certain calls that require them. You may need MTPs for certain PBX integrations, certin SIP deployments (i.e. CVP IP warm transfers), etc.  But if you have regular pure IP telephone environment with TDM trunks you will not need them, also if you have CUBE for SIP trunking you will not need any MTPs.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

MTPs media termination points are resources that are required to provide supplementary services support such as hold, dtmf, SIP early media detection, etc for certain calls that require them. You may need MTPs for certain PBX integrations, certin SIP deployments (i.e. CVP IP warm transfers), etc.  But if you have regular pure IP telephone environment with TDM trunks you will not need them, also if you have CUBE for SIP trunking you will not need any MTPs.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris