Views
Helpful
Replies

Transcoding without a CME or CUBE Deployment

skten-auy
Level 1
Level 1

Evening all,

Where a voice gateway is being used to handle SIP-SIP calls without Call Manager or CUBE in the environment, what (if any) is the correct way to configure transcoding?

With a dspfarm configured, we are finding that DSP's are being allocated for all calls even if codec and packetization are consistent on both call legs. Is it correct that this is occuring because there is no CUBE deployment?

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If there is no CUCM or CME what is your call processor?  

Chris

This person could be using a Cisco voice gateway to terminate a SIP service from their ITSP and handing off to a SIP enabled PBX such as Avaya.

ITSP <---SIP---> Cisco VG <---SIP---> Avaya

Maybe.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In addition to Chris's question, what is the call flow? Can you describe this to us? Where is the gateway sending the calls to?

Please rate all useful posts

Anthony was spot on, the VG is to provide demarcation between the ITSP and a SIP PBX, the SIP PBX can not talk directly to the ITSP for topology reasons.

ITSP <--SIP--> VG <--SIP--> PBX

Transcoding aside the box has to do very little so wanted to avoid having to license CUBE.

If CUBE is required, I would have assumed that without it, calls that required transcoding would simply fail (Which we see if there is no dspfarm configured), however with a dspfarm configured we are finding that a DSP is allocated to every call regardless, which is why I'm a little confused and thought perhaps it was a configuration issue.

Thanks.

First of all in this topology, you need a CUBE license. There is no way around it. Your gateway is processing two voip legs, providing demarcation between the outside and your PBX, hence its acting as a CUBE.

Second, we will need to look at the sip traces and your configuration to know why xcoder is been invoked.

Please rate all useful posts

I do not believe CUBE licensing is required if telephony-service is not configured. Correct me if I'm wrong.

We can easily acheive want we want (without transcoding) without configuring telephony-service.

What we are finding is that the moment a dspfarm is configured, without telephony-service, a DSP is immediatly allocated on all calls. This is why we questioned if you can actually transcode without CUBE.

I suspect I have my answer (Unfortunatly, no), but will come back with some debugs shortly as it is interesting that we are seeing what we are.

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As far as I am aware, you will have to use CUBE/Telephony Service on the IOS gateway in order to register the internal DSP's as transcoding resources for use by your voice gateway.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-border-element/100480-cube-transcode.html#full_config

In other words, I don't think you can use internal transcoders in your scenario without the telephony-service command.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: