Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Transforming 2611 into a voice gateway

Hello All

I'd like to transform my 2611 into a voice gateway and I'm a little confused as to what I need to make this happen.  I know that once I have an analog/pots line coming into my house I need a router with a DSP to transition between analog and voip.  If I buy a NM-2V and drop in a 2FXO and 2FXS VIC card(s) will that handle the DPS?  If I take one of my current empty expansion slots and place in a 2FXO (without the NM-2V) will that give me DPS alone?  Also, when I run "dial?" in global config I don't even have a dial-peer option.  Does this mean that I will need a entirely new versoin of IOS or does it somehow "unlock" that function once it recognizes it has the resources to do it?

Really noob questions I know, but when I query google with things like, "no dial-peer in IOS" you get results about how dial-peers work.  It's not really too helpful because I'm understanding that, now I want to practice.  Just looking for some beginner friendly help.

Thanks for reading!

helpful output:

router1#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.4(17), RELEASE S            OFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 07-Sep-07 16:04 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

router1 uptime is 1 week, 6 hours, 30 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 14:36:22 CST Sat Feb 22 2014
System image file is "flash:c2600-ipbasek9-mz.124-17.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

Cisco 2611 (MPC860) processor (revision 2.3) with 59392K/6144K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID JAD05080AGF
M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
2 Ethernet interfaces
2 Serial interfaces
32K bytes of NVRAM.
16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

router1#sh inv
NAME: "2611 chassis", DESCR: "2611 chassis"
PID: C2611 - 2E        , VID: 2.3, SN: JAD05080AGF

NAME: "WAN Interface Card - Serial (1T)", DESCR: "WAN Interface Card - Serial (1T)"
PID: WIC-1T=           , VID: 1.0, SN: 28121235

NAME: "WAN Interface Card - DSU/CSU T1 Fractional", DESCR: "WAN Interface Card - DSU/CSU T1 Fractional"
PID: WIC-1DSU-T1=      , VID: 1.3, SN: 27657121

**I don't/will not use the T1 card so I'm willing to take it out and replace with an FXO.  The 1T I do use, so I wouldn't remove that one.

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Dude,

What you are about to do is expensive. 

A more affordable solution is to convert your phone into SIP and use Asterisk as your call server.  You can host the Asterisk program in a Raspberry Pi (US$45) or a Beagle Bone (US$55).  Asterisk is free CLI-based call server.  You can use either Trixbox or FreePBX and you can use Asterisk in GUI.

Thanks for writing.

When I look on eBay I can get a NM-2V with a 2FXO and 2FXS for around $100.  If that is all I need (no new version of IOS) then I don't know about you, but I would not call that expensive.  I know that I'll need to subscribe to a pots line, but around here thats ~$30 /month which wouldn't bother me either.  I'm not rich, but for a married guy with dual income... this is small price to pay for lab work/testing/just plain fun (I've asked for ALOT more from my wife before, as I'm sure must of us here have).  Is there something that I am not accounting for?  I appreciate the Asterisk suggestion, but I'm staying in the cisco world here.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Is there something that I am not accounting for?

The software. 

Re: Transforming 2611 into a voice gateway

lol. Thanks Leo, kinda thought so.  Lets keep it going for the educational sake of it.  How can I tell from the names of the IOS versions which include voice functions?  Also aside from that, concerning the other part of my question would I still need a NM-1Vor2V for DSP or could an FXO card by itself provide that service?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Transforming 2611 into a voice gateway

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.4(17),

Look at the output to the "sh version" command.  IP Base means the IOS feature set is for some routing stuff. 

If I remembered correctly for voice you need to find the feature set of "SP Services".

Thank Leo.  Little back story...

When I bought my "CCNA kit" and I enabled NAT/PAT and started getting crazy memory errors.  When I contacted the reseller he gave me a different version of IOS to try.  I loaded it (this was months ago when I first started in IOS) and I remembered seeing commands that I didn't understand.  It was missing the crypto option so I emailed him back and he gave me another version which worked fine.

With all this in mind I reloaded that second version that I had thinking that it had voice stuff it in, and magically, I now see dial-peers in global config

version is:

router2#sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-BINO3S3-M), Version 12.3(26), RELEASE SOFTWARE (f           c2)

I'm not sure what the "BINO" part means, but apparantly it includes voice functions.

So back to my original question.  Do I need a NM-2V for DSP or can I just buy a FXS card and that will process DSP?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content