Views
Helpful
Replies

Translation Pattern VS Route Pattern

ciscoroyzhang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,   I have following configuraton in CUCM 8.6

Translation Pattern --   00.[2378]XXXXXXXX      ( AU-National-PT)

Route Pattern --          00883507111

I tested on the DNA, the call flow is skipping the Translation Pattern and match the Route pattern first. correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the dialed digits always go through the Translation Pattern first if there is no match then move to route pattern, no matter whether there is more specific match in the Route Pattern,  am I correct here?  thanks.  Roy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, that's wrong. CUCM always uses best match routing. The system is working as designed by bypassing that TP if the RP is a best match.

I recommend you to read the SRND, dial plan chapter to fully understand how this works.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, that's wrong. CUCM always uses best match routing. The system is working as designed by bypassing that TP if the RP is a best match.

I recommend you to read the SRND, dial plan chapter to fully understand how this works.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Hi

Can someone please give more details regarding how this works already? Instead of just referrring us to a massive chapter (like looking for a needle in a haystack) or at least give a sub-heading to make it easier to find the info.

I looked at this SRND link and not winning

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/9x/uc9x/dialplan.html#wp1043611

CUCM always chooses the closes match. If you have a TP and RP with the same pattern, then the TP would win. TP always get processed first but again only if it has the best dial pattern match.

HTH

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Okay thanks guys! But what about everything else i.e. what is the entire hierarchy for the whole dial plan e.g. called/calling party transformations, external phone masks, etc?

Hi Thabile Vatsha,

let me try to give you a brief:

for a Called Number ... best match.

for Calling/Called Transformation: Route Pattern < Route List

for External Phone Masks: Device Phone/Device Profile < Route Pattern (Use Calling Party's External Phone Number Mask checkbox) < Route List

for CSS: first the Line, second the Device

Hope this helps.

That shed's more light on the matter...just have to play around with CUCM a bit to reinforce the concepts. Thanks guys!

Hi,

Just to elaborate and get some SRND level of insight, check the link below how Unified CM uses closest-match logic.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/9x/uc9x/dialplan.html#wp1043756

Link Summery

Call Routing in Unified CM

All numeric dialing destinations and directory URIs configured in Unified CM are added to its internal call routing table as patterns. These destinations include IP phone lines, voicemail ports, route patterns, translation patterns, and CTI route points. Unified CM uses two distinct routing tables for numeric dialing destinations and directory URIs.

When a directory URI is dialed, Unified CM uses full-match logic to find a case-sensitive match among the configured directory URIs in the directory URI routing table. When a number is dialed, Unified CM uses closest-match logic to select which pattern to match from among all the patterns in its numeric call routing table. In practice, when multiple potentially matching numeric patterns are present, the destination pattern is chosen based on the following criteria:

It matches the dialed string, and

Among all the potentially matching patterns, it matches the fewest strings other than the dialed string.

For example, consider the case shown in Figure 9-36, where the call routing table includes the patterns 1XXX, 12XX, and 1234.

Figure 9-36 Unified CM Call Routing Logic Example

When user A dials the string 1200, Unified CM compares it with the patterns in its call routing table. In this case, there are two potentially matching patterns, 1XXX and 12XX. Both of them match the dialed string, but 1XXX matches a total of 1000 strings (from 1000 to 1999) while 12XX matches only 100 strings (from 1200 to 1299). Therefore, 12XX is selected as the destination of this call.

When user B dials the string 1212, there are three potentially matching patterns, 1XXX, 12XX and 121X. As mentioned above, 1XXX matches 1000 strings and 12XX matches 100 strings. However, 121X matches only 10 strings; therefore it is selected as the destination of the call.

When user C dials the string 1234, there are three potentially matching patterns, 1XXX, 12XX, and 1234. As mentioned above, 1XXX matches 1000 strings and 12XX matches 100 strings. However, 1234 matches only a single string (the dialed string); therefore it is selected as the destination of this call.

HTH

JB

Which point are you most interested on?

Best match routing?  

Can u please explain with scenario by taking example when we use translation pattern instead of route pattern ?

Say your organization has DID range +12223334XXX, and user 1 is assigned 4001 and user 2 was assigned 4002. now user 1 is dialing full E 164 -- +12223334002 to reach user 2 instead of dialing 4 digit, in that circumstances we would like to use translation pattern so that the call will not go to PSTN and come back -- instead will remain within the system and dial the 4002 extn. this is one scenario.