cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Translation Rule problem on IOS 12.2.46

eggoeater
Level 1
Level 1

So I'm trying to configure some translation rules as spelled out in this article:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801bc341.shtml

However my hardware is an older 3640 which only has enough memory to run 12.2.46, which means I can't use

the new voice translation profiles or the new patterns spelled out in the article.

When I call the number 91234567 from my voip phone line 6666, CCM sends it to the router,

which should (1) hit the dial-peer 55,

then (2) go to the translation rule 123, which changes the dialed number to 7654321,  (I believe this is where it's failing.)

then (3) match the dial-peer 765 and route to the FXO port at 2/0/0.

Config:

translation-rule 123

Rule 1 91234567 7654321

!

!

!

dial-peer voice 55 voip

answer-address 6666

translate-outgoing called 123 <-- am I missing something here to point to the translation above????

!

!

dial-peer voice 765 pots

destination-pattern 765T

port 2/0/0

!

here is the debug output when I dial the number:

00:17:42: xrule_checking

00:17:42: xrule_checking calling 6666, called 91234567

00:17:42: xrule_checking peer_tag 55, direction 1, protocol 1

00:17:42: h323_xrule

00:17:42: h323_xrule

00:17:42: xrule_checking Return rc = -4

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

eggoeater wrote:

So my next question, is why does the global  "voip-incoming translation-rule called 123" cause the number to be translated, but the "translate-outgoing called 123" doesn't?  I know the dial-peer is working, but the translation never happens.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Answer to this is exactly what I mentioned earlier...let me elaborate

When that call hits the router, its coming in over IP and matching dialpeer

55 for the INBOUND leg aka incoming dial-peer = 55.

Now that dialpeer has translation-outbound configured. That translation

will not kick in as DP 55 is selected for an inbound leg and not the outbound leg.

In other words, translate-outgoing will be activated only when that dialpeer

is selected as an OUTBOUND dialpeer.

As for why voice-incoming translation-rule CLI works ? Well as CLI suggests,

its going to translate incoming voip legs for all calls coming in over IP.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further ques.

Unlike voice translation-rule|profile, too bad that voip dialpeer does not support

translation-inbound CLI.

DK

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

dksingh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Reading your call flow to me it sounds like DP 55 will be selected

for the inbound leg so why are you applying the xlation in the outbound

direction?

I'd think you shd try configuring voip-incoming translation-rule called
CLI globally or do an outbound xlation on the pots dialpeer after changing

the dest-pattern there.

Thanks for replying!

Sorry I didn't state my end goal, which is to map a line on my Cisco IP phones to a specific POTs line.

So if I dial 9+number on my IP phone, my call always goes out the same POTs line.

>Reading your call flow to me it sounds like DP 55 will be selected for the inbound leg

Yes. It matches the ANI of my phone so the translation rule only applies to the calls coming from my phone.

>so why are you applying the xlation in the outbound direction?

The outbound number is translated, then that translated number will only match the destination pattern on the dial-peer that then maps to my POTs line.

This is the method descibed in the Cisco article I linked to in my original question.

>I'd think you shd try configuring voip-incoming translation-rule called CLI globally

That would translate the number coming from ANY phone, whereas I just want to translate numbers dialed from my phone.

>or do an outbound xlation on the pots dialpeer after changing the dest-pattern there.

My goal is not to change the number that is dialed by the POTs line, but to change the number in order to select a specific dial-peer mapped to a specific POTs line. (We have four POTs lines.)

Once I get this line/POTs mapping working, I'll set up three others for the rest of our office.

Each person will have their own local phone number that maps to their phone.

So my next question, is why does the global  "voip-incoming translation-rule called 123" cause the number to be translated, but the "translate-outgoing called 123" doesn't?  I know the dial-peer is working, but the translation never happens.

Thanks

Steve

eggoeater wrote:

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Answer to this is exactly what I mentioned earlier...let me elaborate

When that call hits the router, its coming in over IP and matching dialpeer

55 for the INBOUND leg aka incoming dial-peer = 55.

Now that dialpeer has translation-outbound configured. That translation

will not kick in as DP 55 is selected for an inbound leg and not the outbound leg.

In other words, translate-outgoing will be activated only when that dialpeer

is selected as an OUTBOUND dialpeer.

As for why voice-incoming translation-rule CLI works ? Well as CLI suggests,

its going to translate incoming voip legs for all calls coming in over IP.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further ques.

Unlike voice translation-rule|profile, too bad that voip dialpeer does not support

translation-inbound CLI.

DK

Thank you for explaining, that makes perfect sense.

So not to take up more of your time, but can you think of any way to solve this problem without upgrading IOS?

Is there a way to configure it so an outgoing call from a specific extension always goes to a specific port?

If I can't do it in IOS maybe I can do it in CCM before the call is sent to the router.

Thanks for all your help!

Steve

IOS side will involve too much number juggling which could be a big admin overhead.

If you know how COR works on IOS, you can make it happen. Pl. see:

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_configuration_example09186a008019d649.shtml

It is also possible to add a unique prefix to each user's dialed number using CCM xlation

and then match that up with pots dialpeer dest-pattern on the IOS side.

Other than that, I'd think some abt a simpler way to get it done on the IOS and will let u know if I come

up with something that will not require u to upgrade IOS.

Good luck!