cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two hopes upgrade Question: from CUCM 7.0(1) to 7.1(3b)

adham_tahoun
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day All

We are trying to upgrade the publisher from CUCM 7.0(1) to 7.1(3b). Since there is no direct path for this upgrade, we have to hope to a version in between, that is CUCM 7.1(2b).

Since we have two partitions, active and inactive, we have already upgrade the inactive part to 7.1(2b) version as per Cisco Documentation then switch to that version, it ended with:

Active : 7.1(2b) version

Inactive : 7.0(1) version.

The questions here:

1. How am I going to upgrade to 7.1(3b)?
  2. Which partition should I use to upgrade to my target 7.1(3b)

Thanks for your time

AT

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi AT,

Here is a clip that describes the CUCM upgrade process

With this version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, you can install upgrade software on your server while the system continues to operate. Two partitions exist on your system: an active, bootable partition and an inactive, bootable partition. The system boots up and operates entirely on the partition that is marked as the active partition.

When you install upgrade software, you install the software on the inactive partition. The system continues to function normally while you are installing the software. When you are ready, you activate the inactive partition and reboot the system with the new upgrade software. The current active partition will then get identified as the inactive partition when the system restarts. The current software remains in the inactive partition until the next upgrade. Your configuration information migrates automatically to the upgraded version in the active partition.

If for any reason you decide to back out of the upgrade, you can restart the system to the inactive partition that contains the older version of the software.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/6_0_1/cucos/iptpch7.html

So, in your example/environment;

The first upgrade moved you from 7.0 (1) on the active and something else on the inactive

and changed you to 7.1(2b) on the active and 7.0(1) on the inactive.

Your next step/upgrade will move you from 7.1(2b) on the active and 7.0(1) on the inactive

and will change you to 7.1(3b) on the active and 7.1(2b) on the inactive. In a two-hop upgrade

process your original (in your case 7.0(1)) will always be lost as part of the second step

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Adham,

This upgrade will look the same as far as the Partitions go

You will install 7.1(3b) on the Inactive Partition (installs are always done

on the Inactive side) then switch versions from 7.1(2b) to 7.1(3b) and you should

be good to go.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Mr. Huffman,

Thanks for you reply

Do you mean that I won’t switch to the inactive partition after my first upgrade?

So, I will keep the active 7.0(1) partition as it is and do my final upgrade on the inactive 7.1(2b)?

Thanks

AT

If you already have:

Active :  7.1(2b) version

Inactive : 7.0(1) version.

Just do the next upgrade, you never get to choose which partition you use. It's the inactive partion always.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Java

Thanks for your reply.

But if the inactive partition is 7.0(1), how is it going to be upgraded to 7.1(3b)? there is no direct path from 7.0(1) to 7.1(3b)

Thank again

AT

You use whatever you have on the ACTIVE partition, you DO NOT use the data from the inactive.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi again

So,

If I am standing on the active 7.1(2b) with inactive 7.0(1), it will still take my upgrade to 7.1(3b)?

I think -but I am not sure- that we have done the previous step, but we couldn't proceed because there is no space available, how can I solve this problem?

Regards

AT

Hi,

I have upgraded CUCM 7.0 (not sure what release is) to CUCM 7.1 (3b) successfully. Is it any document say that CUCM 7.0 (1) can not go directly to 7.1 (3b)?

For your case, I think if the CUCM 7.1 (2b) partition works well, you can switch the active partition to it and upgrade to CUCM 7.1 (3b). CUCM 7.0 will be removed, dont worry about that.

Remember that the upgrade process always get the data from active partition and install new version on in-active partition.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi AT,

Here is a clip that describes the CUCM upgrade process

With this version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, you can install upgrade software on your server while the system continues to operate. Two partitions exist on your system: an active, bootable partition and an inactive, bootable partition. The system boots up and operates entirely on the partition that is marked as the active partition.

When you install upgrade software, you install the software on the inactive partition. The system continues to function normally while you are installing the software. When you are ready, you activate the inactive partition and reboot the system with the new upgrade software. The current active partition will then get identified as the inactive partition when the system restarts. The current software remains in the inactive partition until the next upgrade. Your configuration information migrates automatically to the upgraded version in the active partition.

If for any reason you decide to back out of the upgrade, you can restart the system to the inactive partition that contains the older version of the software.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/6_0_1/cucos/iptpch7.html

So, in your example/environment;

The first upgrade moved you from 7.0 (1) on the active and something else on the inactive

and changed you to 7.1(2b) on the active and 7.0(1) on the inactive.

Your next step/upgrade will move you from 7.1(2b) on the active and 7.0(1) on the inactive

and will change you to 7.1(3b) on the active and 7.1(2b) on the inactive. In a two-hop upgrade

process your original (in your case 7.0(1)) will always be lost as part of the second step

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: