I've installed a UC520. Now we've a problem with the directory lookup. When a external number exist in the directory, the name is not presented in the display when a call arrives from that external number. When I make the same configuration on a CME the name will be presented.
What can be the problem? Is this an UC500 issue?
Yes, I always configure that setting.
This is the telephony-service configuration, I only changed the phone number :)
ip source-address 192.168.12.210 port 2000
auto assign 1 to 10
service dnis overlay
service dnis dir-lookup
user-locale 1 NL
user-locale 2 NL
user-locale 3 NL
user-locale 4 NL
network-locale 1 NL
network-locale 2 NL
network-locale 3 NL
network-locale 4 NL
max-conferences 4 gain -6
directory entry 1 00553333333 name test
I know it might sound silly but does the incoming CLi on the number match the number in your directory? it could be that the number is not matching correctly, run a debug and see what the incoming number is
I hope this helps
Yes, I'm realy sure. The incoming number matches the directory entry. When I made the same configuration on a CME everything works fine. I've this problem only on the UC500.
Then I'm afraid you will need to log a case with the TAC. Consider that UC520 has newer IOS so the possibility of bugs is always there.
Hi, ive just tried doing this on my UC520.. and I get the same issue. Id be interested to know if the case is looked at by Cisco...
Hang on though.. It only seems to work when I do a group pickup. It displays the correct name from the directory, but it doesnt display on the phone the call was intended for.
Hi there, I've runned IOS 12.4(11)XW3 and upgraded later to XW4 it didn't help.
Now you can tell that it appears to be a bug in the latest version and you should log the problem with the TAC.