Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX 8.5 SU1 bizzare issue in Vmware

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Guys,

I have installed UCCX 8.5 su1 in vmware player. It installs fine and evrything works. However the moment the machine is powered down, and powered back up, it becomes unreachable. You can no longer ping or connect to it via http.

When this first happened I thought because i didnt not do a clean shut down, the files were corrupted. I deleted and re-installed from fresh. Once I was done, I did  a clean shutdown. next time I powered i up, the same problem. I cant ping it. he sevrices all start okay though.

It is becoming very frustrating. Any ideas what may be wrong or what I can look at?

Please rate all useful posts
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I've seen this a couple of times - doing a 'set network status eth0 down' then 'set network status eth0 up' usually brings it back.

Also try updating VMtools.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Gajanan Pande
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there aokanlawon,

Before we discuss about this perticular issue, I would like to suggest you that, this avenue isnt the appropriate one for UCC queries, as it's IPT forum. The right one is here https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/collaboration-voice-video/contact-center?view=discussions

Posting the queries at right place would ensure quick response to your queries. Thanks

About your issue, Is this being done for a production network ?

If yes, then please beware that UC/UCC virtualization must be done with VmWare ESXi 4.0 & later ( as of latest ESXi 5.0 also is supported ) to maintain the supportability of your deployment. Please refer http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements#VMware_vSphere_ESXi_Version_Support_for_Call_Processing_and_System_Management_Applications

Otherwise, functionality is not tested & hence cant be guaranteed.

HTH ?

GP.

Pls rate helpful posts !!

Hi

I've seen this a couple of times - doing a 'set network status eth0 down' then 'set network status eth0 up' usually brings it back.

Also try updating VMtools.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron, now that what I call putting a smile on a frustrated face . That was spot on. Many thanks.

And to the cisco fella and folks. Before coming up with all the "political correctness" lines, please endeavour to make meaningful contributions. After all, this is what this forum is all about. GP, for your information this is just a lab setup

Aaron..in my Nigerian (broken english) we will say "you be the man oh!" Top guy!

Please rate all useful posts

MARK HOLLOWAY
Level 1
Level 1

I encountered the same exact issue with UCCX 8.5.1 on VMWare Fusion. I found that what is causing the issue is VMwareTools, which automatically gets installed during the boot process. If you obtain root access and uninstall VMwareTools, it will reinstall again on the next boot.

Aaron's method of bouncing the eth0 interface every time you boot works fine, but it's a bit of a hassle.

Another way to solve this is to boot from a CentOS ISO and use "linux rescue" to obtain root access to UCCX 8.5.1 and disable VMwareTools on boot.  The problem is now permanently solved. Obviously this isn't supported by Cisco, but neither is running UCCX on VMWare Fusion or Workstation.

To disable VMwareTools on boot simply type the following as root.

# chkconfig vmware-tools off

Good find Mark!

Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: