cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCM 7.X on UCS C-Series

rweber
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone confirm that you can install 7.X on a UCS C-Series.  I have a client that is running 4.1.3 and we are about to do an upgrade on new hardware.  We will want to get to 8.x in the end but You have to go to 6/7 in order to upgrade to 8.  The issue I have is the server that they purchased is a UCS C-Series and  I can not find anywhere if that server will support the 7.X version first.  And if so do I need to run the 7.X in VMWare on that box or Can I just install the image directly on to the server.

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, the C-Series are not a supported platform for anything previous to CUCM 8.0(2)

Supported Servers for Releases of Cisco Unified  Communications Manager, Cisco Intercompany Media Engine and Session  Manager Edition

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Well that is what I thought.  So how does someone get from 4.1 to 8.  If version 8 is only supported on the UCS with VM Ware and 7 is not what are they supposed to do by an additional server just for the upgrade?

You'll need to go to one of the minimum versions for 8.X upgrade and then do an inplace-upgrade.

Several servers still support the 8.X version and some old servers are good enough for a bridged upgrade:

(5) Supported only for "bridged upgrade" to migrate to  newer hardware. In a bridged upgrade, you upgrade to the specified Cisco  Unified Communications Manager version, make a backup of your software  configuration via the Disaster Recovery System utility, reinstall the  Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on new hardware, and  restore your software configuration from backup. This server is not  supported for any other use with Cisco Unified Communications Manager  other than this "bridged upgrade" procedure.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Thanks for the help here. :-)

Just to clarify, are you stating that I will be able to install the 7.X version on the C-Series and that the image will install, but since it is not supported this is only so that I can get the database running in a 7.x version.  At which point I can hten do a backup of the database and re-build the server to version 8 followed by a restore.

No, that's not what I'm saying. You need to look at the link I provided to see which are supported platforms and which are supported for bridged upgrade.

When you look at the link you'll see this for the C-series

(4) VMware vSphere 4 (ESXi 4.0 or higher) is only  supported on particular server options as indicated in Table 1.  Installations on servers and/or other hypervisor vendors, products or  versions not listed in Table 1 are not supported. See http://www.cisco.com/go/swonly for the  Cisco Unified Computing System models and configurations that are  supported for Cisco Unified Communications.

HTH

java

HTH

java

I did review that Link both prior to posting this discussion and after you posted it.  The problem I am having is that it is not very clear.  That is why I posted this discussion thread toi begin with.  Just pasting me the comments from the Link is not helping.  I was hoping to get someones real world exposure to this and see what others have doen in this situation.

Anyway, it looks as if I will just have to dig up an old HP G5 to do the 4 to 7 migration then I can do the 7 to 8 migration after that.