cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCM Upgrade

Aaron Dhiman
Level 2
Level 2

We are currently on CM 4.1(3) and looking to go to 6.x. From the Product Upgrade tool, I see the following are our entitled upgrade options:

CM4.3-K9-SUP= SW CallManager Upgrade 4.x To 4.3

CM5.1-K9-SUP= SW Upgrade CM 4.1 to 5.1 for SMARTnet

CM6.0-K9-SUP= SW Upgrade CM 5.1 to 6.0 for Cisco SMARTnet

CM6.1-K9-SUP= SW Upgrade CM 5.0/5.1 to 6.1 for Cisco SMARTnet

From the listed items, there is no direct patch to 6.1(1), but it is my understanding that this is possible. Is it just an error with the PUT? Should I just be able to order CM6.1-K9-SUP= for my three servers?

Also, if I have two 7835s and one 7825, would I need platform-specific disks?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In this case I would order the 5.1 and 6.1 media path both, so that there is a record trail of your upgrades within PUT.

But you are correct, you use the 6.1 upgrade kit to go directly from 4.1.

And there are no longer multiple platforms discs, all platforms are covered by a single DVD. As of 5.x Cisco moved away from using platform specifics images and instead use normal OS/application package installers combined with a hardware check.

Fred

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

In this case I would order the 5.1 and 6.1 media path both, so that there is a record trail of your upgrades within PUT.

But you are correct, you use the 6.1 upgrade kit to go directly from 4.1.

And there are no longer multiple platforms discs, all platforms are covered by a single DVD. As of 5.x Cisco moved away from using platform specifics images and instead use normal OS/application package installers combined with a hardware check.

Fred

Thanks for the info. I will try the direct upgrade to 6.1 first to see if it works. If not, I will try the 5.1 step first.

4.1 to 6.1 directly works. Hope you are going to new hardware because the DMA tool can give you hell. Then the installation using the DMA tar file can fail too. If not going to new hardware, sacrifice (one of) your subscribers first to make it the new 6.1 publisher (first node.)

Tip. If you don't need your CDR records, purge them then uninstall CAR. Saves a lot of time, file size and hassle and possible troubles.

You will need the correct upgrade kit because 6.1 requires a (just one) "feature license" to be added, which comes from the PAK code in the upgrade kit.

Also the licensing tool was broken last I checked (couple weeks ago). Had to open a licensing case to convert the temp XML license file to the permanent DLU + node licenses.

The licensing tool is working, but

when you capture the xml file for the DLUS etc after the upgrade so that you can post it on Cisco's web site, it might be wrapped in HTML. ie the first line and the last line are html, and the license utility will reject it. Remove the first and last line to resolve this.

Great advice. I am replacing one Sub, so I'll use the new server as the new Pub and will restore on it first!

Regarding the PAK, are you saying that there are two steps?

1. Register the new Pub MAC address with the PAK that I receive in the upgrade kit (CM6.1-K9-SUP=).

2. Register the DLU/Node License generated by the Cisco CallManager Upgrade Utility.

Both.

#1 will give you the CallManager 6.1 feature license that is now required. That's the only thing that PAK gives you.

#2 will "convert" your device-based licenses for the CCM 4.x phones to permanent DLUs for 6.1. No PAK needed. This is the step you copy and paste the intermediate XML license file using the online tool.

What happens if you just upload the DLU converted lic without the feature .lic

Haven't tried it. Have no means to try it right this moment. My guess is that CallManager or CTI services won't start.

Thats exactly what happens. I've been reading all the posts about CallManager Service = Activated but wont stay activated for longer than 30 seconds. I just figured this one out the hard way. As soon as I applied the 6.1 version feature .lic they all started to come up and stay up after a reboot. So yes you deffiitely need to register the PAK that comes with DVDs or else you are SOL with only the xml converted node and device .lic

Exactly, the 4.x to 6.1 upgrade requires an additional SW feature license received with the upgrade kit.

But, I have a question. To upgrade a 4.2 cluster (3 nodes for instance) to a 6.1 one, should I have to order 3xCM6.1U4-K9 or only 1?

Because technically, only one feature license is required to start the 3 CallManager services. So, if I order 1 upgrade kit for each node, 2 SW licenses will be useless...?

The upgrade kit 4to6 is the same price as a new 6.1 node license...

Thank you.

If you have a current UCSS (software maint which includes upgrades) contract, you just need to order one (from the PUT tool) to get that feature license PAK and a set of DVDs.

If you do not have UCSS, or it expired and you didn't renew, you need to order and pay for three.

Also note If you are changing server class (ie, 7825 to 7835) there is a price differential and upgrade part number for that also.

If you have UCSS and change server class, you also need to purchase the upgrade differential.

If you have CUWL, you can pretty much do whatever you want as part of your CUWL scheme.

Thank you for your help.

So, is it normal that an upgrade of 3 nodes is the same cost as a fresh installation of 3 nodes? (viewed in pricelist)

Looks like it unless I am missing another component for a new 6.1 as opposed to an upgrade to 6.1.

Note that 5.1 to 6.1 is less expensive than 4.x to 6.x.

As you can see now, you really want to buy UCSS.

Indeed... fidelity is not well rewarded ;) Don't pass throug a release!

Thank you mciarfello for these informations.

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: