Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Procedure Replacement

Hi,

We had recently a problem on a UCS C210 and after some test with the TAC, it appears that we need to replace the whole unit.

On this server, We are running a CUCM pub, a CUC sub and a TFTP...

The fact that there's the pub on the unit involve that we proceed to the replacement after business hours.

I've been looking on the internet for a procedure and I haven't find any information about that...

In fact, I'm still wondering if by moving the hard drives from the old to the new unit will be enough, or do we need to rebuild the raid manually ?

If someone could give me some intel about that, I'll appreciate...

Bes Regards.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Why dont you just take a DRS backup, build the new publisher using hte same ip address, security password etc and then  restore your backup to the new publisher...

Please rate all useful posts

"The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"

View solution in original post

This is not a recommended solution..Swapping of disks has always been a practice frowned upon. What you should after is not a faster procedure but a better procedure..

"The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"

I agree with @aokanianwon that swapping disks isn't the way to go; however, doing a DRS backup/restore sequence seems like overkill. Assuming that TAC doesn't suspect the integrity of the VM itself, just export (File > Export) it using the VI client and then import the VM (File > Deploy) on the new box. When asked, you MOVED the VM, not copied; this is critical so the VMX file keeps the same config (e.g. MAC address).

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

5 Replies 5

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Why dont you just take a DRS backup, build the new publisher using hte same ip address, security password etc and then  restore your backup to the new publisher...

Yeah, it's a solution.

But I wanted to know if swaping the disks from one unit to the other could work...

In fact, swaping the disks will always be faster than proceeding to a DRS...

Regards,

This is not a recommended solution..Swapping of disks has always been a practice frowned upon. What you should after is not a faster procedure but a better procedure..

I agree with @aokanianwon that swapping disks isn't the way to go; however, doing a DRS backup/restore sequence seems like overkill. Assuming that TAC doesn't suspect the integrity of the VM itself, just export (File > Export) it using the VI client and then import the VM (File > Deploy) on the new box. When asked, you MOVED the VM, not copied; this is critical so the VMX file keeps the same config (e.g. MAC address).

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Aokanlawon / Jonathan,

I want to thank both of you for your consistently helpful responses on this forum.  It is greatly appreciated.

Amir