cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UDP streaming instead of RTP streaming

aikbeecisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I able to make RTP streaming by using xml services and  "RTPTx:......."  i get the streaming result and the protocol is RTP. But instead of using RTP as the streamming protocol, is it possible to making the transmit protocol as UDP without the rtp header?

22 Replies 22

Gergely Szabo
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

why whould you do that?

G.

Hi gergely,

Because i have a  system that only can receive UDP packet, there is so difficult to change the system. So instead of changing the system, is it possible to change the protocol from RTP to UDP on cisco ip phone ?

Gergely Szabo
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No.

how about the ip phone transmit a single UDP message to any destination?

I don't understand. What are you trying to achieve?

G.

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

You do know that RTP is transmitted over UDP...?

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

GTG, I thought so. But I was wrong. RTP may be transmitted over TCP as well (see the Wikipedia article).

Anyway, the OP wants to send raw UDP packets _without_ the RTP header.

G.

From what I've seen, Cisco use UDP for RTP transmission.

Yeah, I saw their request for raw audio without the RTP header. The OP's gonna have to ammend their listening software to extract the audio from the UDP/RTP stream. (Wireshark does it quite well )

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Ya, hope someone can help, to change the RTP streamming into UDP streamming.

A.

Cisco phones send RTP (within UDP). Get used to it.

G.

I agree with your statement, the difference is only the 12 byte RTP header, is there a way to strip the 12 bytes rtp header on the server side?

Hi,

what server side?

You are talking directly to the Cisco phone. There's no configurable parameter of doing that.

You'll have to do that on your side.

G.

Hi,

Ok, do on my side, can u describe what was the step, so that i can achieve that?

A.

I don't know. You'll have to implement something on a very low level, between the interface and the user process.

I would probably match and intercept such packets with iptables, take the payload and retransmit.

G.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: