cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to factory default a 7960 Phone with old code?

tmoffett
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I am trying to get a couple of old 7960 phones to work with my CME demo kit. The phones were originally working with CCM4.0 or 4.1.

When I boot them up on a port with DHCP, option 150, etc, they never get an IP address and reboot continually. They also reboot as soon as I attempt to enter the network configuration menu - as soon as I use the up/down button to navigate the menu.

Any ideas whay is going on?

Thanks in advance!

22 Replies 22

Cat you attach here the packets captured from phone (pcap file) ?

Sure. I changed the config around a bit just to satisfy my curiousity. I put the phone and my PC in VLAN1 and addressed that SVI for 10.1.1.10 and gave my PC 10.1.1.1. The router did a gratuitous ARP reply to the phone and it then sent out a TFTP GET to 10.1.1.1 with a source address of 255.255.255.255. The sniffer showed it as a malformed tftp packet. The string was 377\377\377\377...

Hi, the phone for sure is very confused but I still think it can be recovered. Although malformed the tftp request is there,try with PC or router to supply the file

OS79XX.TXT simply contain the .loads filename ( without .loads extension). To be sure, try specifying some old image like 5.x perhaps.

This because one step you have to solve too, is to ge the ephone to upgrade to "universal boot loader".

I don't even see a request hitting the TFTP server application - running on 10.1.1.1. Could there be a different app that might work better than the 3CServer?

Hi, as mentioned before, I recommend using either a router, or tftpd32.exe (free download). Both have debug capabilities, the latter is actually better in that, only I don't know how it will react to request coming from broadcast address.

Not a single one of the tftp apps that I have tried have even reported seeing a tftp request from the phone. Probably because it is coming from a broadcast address?

I am trying to find information on how to connect to the phone over the RS232 port, but it seems as if Cisco has removed ever single document that contains this information.

WTF?

Yes the problem can be due to the broadcast address in source, that doesn't make much sense.

Are you sure there are no packets send immediately after turning on, before the capture you sent ?

The serial port cannot be use to control the phone, there is no login console or anything like that, much less when the phone is not running full firmware.

Alos, I see that at least on CLI level, IOS can nat between bcast address inside and one unicast outside. So you would put the phone on inside (any network), outside 10.1.1/244, TFTP server at 10.1.1.1, request will be natted to unicast and tftp server will reply then.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: