Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding Call Flow

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Dear All,

I have a question and hope that it is clarified.

Suppose i m using a abbreviated 4 digit dailplan in my setup.

Suppose a call is made from ext 1234 to any 7 digit or 10 digit number,please let me know how many calling party digits will be send to the gateway.

is 4 digits or the complete DID number.

I will ask further questions once i get the response for above.

Thanks

12 Replies 12

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

HI

This will be dpend on your gateway protocol which is used (H323 or MGCP). As you know on MGCP the conftrol will be for CUCM , so the call will go  phone sends 4 digits -cucm match 4 digits then complete DID .On H323 Phone sends 4 digits to CUCM -CUCM matches 4 digits -Then send it to your gateway to complete DID by useing translation rule based on dial-peer for 7 digits or 10 digits.

Thank you

Please rate all useful information

Thanks for the reply.

Suppose i m using H.323 as this will have its own dail plan.In this scenario how will be the call flow.

Thanks

Hi

Lets we have Cisco IP phone 4001 and need to call 911. The DID of 4001 24044001.Call flow will be as below:-

1-4001 dial 911.

2-4001 as 4 digits will transfer to CUCM .CUCM will see 911 route pattern , then see RL which will have your h323 gateway.

3-CUCM will match 4001 that can do a call to 911 .Then will send the 4001 to H323 gateway.

4-Gateway will see on its dial-peers which will includes 911 , which will be as the below:-

voice translation-rule 3

rule 1 /^4.../ /2404&/ type any subscriber plan any isdn

rule 2 // // type any unknown plan any isdn

voice translation-profile 911

translate calling 3

translate called 3

dial-peer voice 11 pots

translation-profile outgoing 911

destination-pattern 911

no digit-strip

port 0/1/0:15

5- gateway will match the dial-peer , for outgoing will match 4001 with translation pattern so 4001 will translate to 24044001

6-Call go out.

Thank you

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

So u mean upto the gateway 4 digits are send before the translation rules kicks in..?.Once the translation rule kicks in the number is transformed to DID number and sent to the provider.

Please clarify whether is it possible to agree with the carrier that we might send 4 digits and the carrier will take care of appending the rest of digits..?.

Moreover can you please explain the terms( type any plan subscriber plan any isdn unknown etc) it quite confusing to me.

Thanks

Hi

You are welcome any time .

1- You are completely true , the carrier can accept only 4 digits and can then route the call. This feature is not allowed on may providers , for me i didnt see this on (GULF , CHINA ,JAPAN) which i have already implemented many successful scinarios .I heared that some countries are ok ,can send only 4 digits.

2-For explain the terms( type any plan subscriber plan any isdn unknown etc) it quite confusing to me.

This can be done , or not based also on your SP . Most of SP are ok if you didnt specify the type of call. Let me explain for you we have many types of calls as (unknown "emergency numbers 911 ,999.etc"& Subscriber "local calls which dial inside town" , national calls "from city to city" and International calls "from country to country".On my example

1-i told the carrier my calling number which is 7 digits is local = subscriber and the call will be over isdn.

2-I told the carrier my called number which is 911 emergency=unknown and call will be over isdn

Thank you

Hi,

Could you please explain term fits where in the syntax..?

Moreover please explain the translation patterns which you have used above.

As per my understanding they mean the below.

voice translation-rule 3

rule 1 /^4.../ /2404&/ type any subscriber plan any isdn==anything starting from 4 repalce it will 2404

rule 2 // // type any unknown plan any isdn===Could you explain this in more detail.

Regards

Hi,

rule 1 /^4.../ /2404&/

result is 2404 and '&' will add the '4...."

output: 24044001

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please explain the result of the second rule

rule 2 // //

Thanks

Hi mahmood

look rule 2 // //  . that  means match the called number as it is . For example above , you dialed 911 and you dont need any presix or any modification the dialed number , so // //  means 911 should be 911 without any changes.

Thank you

Hi,

Please do i need to apply the second rule i mean the called rule..?

I assume that the called numbers will be fully presented to the gateway.

Thanks

Hi Mahmood

No , you will not need to apply .

Thank you

Hi,

rule 2 // //

There are no matches present. hence there will be no changes on digits dialed.

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: