Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

understaning the command voice class codec

hello ,

I found this configuration in show run

voice class codec 1

codec preference 1 g711ulaw

codec preference 2 g729br8

codec preference 3 g729r8

codec preference 4 g711alaw

!

can someone explain to me what it menas ?

is it related to fax ?

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: understaning the command voice class codec

Hi

With the introduction of Cisco IOS Software Release 12.0(5)T, Cisco VoIP gateways support the codec negotiation feature. This feature provides the ability for a Cisco VoIP gateway to connect to other VoIP devices without necessarily knowing which codec is used for a call-setup. Also, this feature allows Cisco VoIP gateways to dynamically adjust to changes on remote devices. As long as the codec used by the remote VoIP device matches the capabilities-list of the Cisco VoIP gateway, the VoIP call is completed.   For example, you got location A and B, if you give this voice class codec config in your A location, if the B location uses an outgoing dialpeer which just uses g729r8 in its  voip device, then your A location voip device looks first for g711ulaw codec, as it is not there in B location dialpeer, it falls(negotiates) to the second preference codec which is g729r8,  and sets up the call. From my understanding, it is related to dialpeer, codecs, callsetup.  If you use a dialpeer which is pointing to a fax , which has a codec specified in it, then it is related there as well, but the concept is the same.

Please rate if this helps, by clicking the stars below.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content