Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity 4.0(4) disk space full

dear sir,

1.) Please advise why can the C: drive & M: drive disk space full? I got attached picture that show the disk space full.

2.) Why we can't delete the file with either unityadmin or administrator account ?

Impact:

With the above, At the moment, we exprience some time the unity will hang.

Problems resolved by :

reboot the unity server. But we cannot always reboot the unity server. It's not the right way.

Please advise how to resolve the problems, your effort shall be highly appreciated.

thanks.

9 REPLIES

Re: Unity 4.0(4) disk space full

It has to do with Exchange logging. Check for files in your logging of Exchange. If you have all the files, x days, it means you don't have two things setup from:

- either setup circular logging in Exchange. This will only keep the last 7 days of Exchange logs, hence deleting everything older.

- run an Exchange backup. Exchange will delete the files once the files have been marked as "backed up" Exchange will purge these files.

check those files and get back to us.

Hi tcatlinins,

thank you for your reply, can i know which path or more details to check for the logging you mentioned?

Please advise. thanks.

Bronze

Hi all,

thank you for your help. Hereby attach the picture. Refer to the picture, we can see that the circular logging doesn't enable. We can summarize that the disk space full is related to the circular logging.

1.) Can i know will it solve the issue if i enable circular logging?

2.) What's the negative impact i enable circular logging ?

please advise.

thanks.

If you backup your Exchange server nightly, the logs will clear out daily. You can leave logging the way that it is.

If you turn on circular logging, it usually has a duration of 5-7 days of log files that will build up. Then, if the Exchange goes down, you can rebuild the PRIV and PUB from the log files.

check out this post from MS. Hope this helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/147524

hi all,

thank you for your reply , however that link doesn't explain or tell me . Will it solve my problems if i enable circular logging?

please advise.

thanks.

I guess you need to take a look at that doc one more time. If your server is running low on disk space, and your largest folder on the whole hardisk is Exchange, is the transaction log files. TO cure these large files, you can do three things:

- backup the server, which clears all log files and frees up disk space

- enable circular logging so that after x days, the logs stop growing and re-write the oldest log files (circular)

- manually delete old logs. not recommended, but in a space pinch.. works.

here is a piece of that support doc.

When circular logging is enabled you can see more than one transaction log in the log directory. For example, if a user sends a message with a 25-MB attachment, because the maximum log file size is 5 MB, four logs are likely to be created to process this transaction in addition to the Edb.log file. That is, you see Edb00001.log, Edb00002.log, Edb00003.log, and Edb00004.log. After the transaction is processed completely, these log files remain until a full backup is performed on the database, at which time they are removed. If the number of log files generated with circular logging enabled is equal to or greater than four (not including Edb.log) the logs remain until a full backup is performed.

When circular logging is enabled, high-volume conditions also cause the number of log files to increase. Because the inactive portion of a transaction log is only discarded and reused after the Edb.chk file has moved past the inactive portion, many transactions may build up in the logs before they can be processed. If the total number of unprocessed transactions exceeds 5 MB and more continue to build up, another log file (for example, Edb00001.log) is created to hold these transactions. If the high-volume conditions continue, the log files continue to increase in number until the transactions can be processed completely. After the transaction processing catches up and the Edb.chk file is advanced past the transactions in these log files, these log files become inactive and again are not be removed until a full backup is performed. Other possible causes of log files growing with circular logging enabled are faulty small computer system interface (SCSI) controllers or hard drives that cause the transactions not to be completed in a timely manner, and the Edb.log files being held open exclusively by another process other then Jet (for example, backup programs, copying operations, and so on).

I've been having a Logging issue as well and I'm not sure what's causing it. Essentially we've created an Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata directory that is housing our logs. These logs, once they hit 5 Megs generate a new set of logs. It starts off named as E00.log and when saved is named something like E000393F.log; anyway these logs are generated about 50 times a day. I understand that they are supposed to get deleted when we back up however our backups are not running through successfully. We are getting a sql error that reads:

3041:

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP LOG UnityDb TO UnityDBDump

Event ID: 17055

I haven't found any literature on this aside from this thread. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

What kind of backup software are you using? For instance, if you were Backup Exec, you would need the SQL agent that allows Backup Exec to open up the SQL databases and back them up.. and if you are backing up Exchange, you will need the Exchange agent.

Your backup software can be configured to continue if an error occurs. If you are using the built in backup from MS, then it's a different story.

If you can, configure your backup jobs to just run a backup of the Exchange directory. See what happens. At least it will clean your logs out.

Views
Helpful
Replies