Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity and IMAP

According to this document..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper0900aecd8031c947.shtml

For IMAP4 integration, Exchange 2000 is the only software that seems to be suppported with Outlook. Can we use Exchange 2003 instead ?

Also the document mentions about that message store needs to be off box. With a 7845 server and plenty of hard disk space, can you still use on-box message store with IMAP ? Is this a supported configuration ? I will have around 2000 users homed in this Unity VM only server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Green

Re: Unity and IMAP

Hi Sankar,

For the first question, IMAP is supported with Exchange 2003

That document appears to be written around the time 4.0(1) was released, and at which time, that statement was correct. Since then, Microsoft has released Exchange 2003 and Unity started to support 2003 so you can

create an IMAP connection to 2003. However, you'll see that the examples they give only walk you through Exchange 2000 so that's probably why it still says that.

"IMAP client access when Cisco Unity is deployed in a single-server configuration is not supported, meaning when the Cisco Unity system is installed with Active Directory and

Exchange on the same server as the Cisco Unity software."

This means that it is "not supported" with a voice messaging only installation with Exchange and AD installed on-box (such as the server that you described).

It implies that a voice messaging only installation where Exchange is installed off-box would be supported for IMAP access (just not MAPI due to Microsoft licensing violations). It does not necessarily mean that it is not technically feasible to access an on-box Exchange with IMAP; just that it is not supported (by either the BU or the TAC) and may well cause issues.

Basically IMAP acceess to Exchange mail stores is not supported when Exchange is on-box with Unity. The IMAP access will adversely affect the call processing functionality of Unity.

Yes, I know from a technical standpoint IMAP access will work even when Exchange is on-box (Unity is not even involved in the IMAP

"conversation")

HTH

//G

4 REPLIES
Green

Hi Sankar,

For the first question, IMAP is supported with Exchange 2003

That document appears to be written around the time 4.0(1) was released, and at which time, that statement was correct. Since then, Microsoft has released Exchange 2003 and Unity started to support 2003 so you can

create an IMAP connection to 2003. However, you'll see that the examples they give only walk you through Exchange 2000 so that's probably why it still says that.

"IMAP client access when Cisco Unity is deployed in a single-server configuration is not supported, meaning when the Cisco Unity system is installed with Active Directory and

Exchange on the same server as the Cisco Unity software."

This means that it is "not supported" with a voice messaging only installation with Exchange and AD installed on-box (such as the server that you described).

It implies that a voice messaging only installation where Exchange is installed off-box would be supported for IMAP access (just not MAPI due to Microsoft licensing violations). It does not necessarily mean that it is not technically feasible to access an on-box Exchange with IMAP; just that it is not supported (by either the BU or the TAC) and may well cause issues.

Basically IMAP acceess to Exchange mail stores is not supported when Exchange is on-box with Unity. The IMAP access will adversely affect the call processing functionality of Unity.

Yes, I know from a technical standpoint IMAP access will work even when Exchange is on-box (Unity is not even involved in the IMAP

"conversation")

HTH

//G

Gonz,

Thanks for confirming support with Exch 2003.

Sankar.

Gonzalo,

We have Cisco Unity 4.2(1) in a single server voicemail-only configuration. We have the MCS-7845 platform with dual CPUs, 4 GB RAM, and three RAID 1 drives. We have less than 800 voicemail-only users and the system is licensed for 72 ports. I know that the specs call for an 'off-box' message store if IMAP4 access is desired. Here is my question; if I have only 800 users when the system can support 4000 users and I only want to allow less than 50 users to have IMAP4 access do I still need to have an off box message store?

Thanks, Dave

Gonzalo,

I have Cisco Unity 4.2(1) in a single server voicemail-only configuration. We have the MCS-7845 platform with dual CPUs, 4 GB RAM, and three RAID 1 drives. We have less than 800 voicemail-only users and the system is licensed for 72 ports. I know that the specs call for an 'off-box' message store if IMAP4 access is desired. Here is my question; if I have only 800 users when the system can support 4000 users and I only want to allow less than 50 users to have IMAP4 access do I still need to have an off box message store?

Thank you, Dave

Views
Helpful
Replies