cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity -- Best practice for Attendant Console and Operator

Laurel McDargh
Level 1
Level 1

I am fairly new to Voice Over IP. I am in a new position for managing our phones, e.g., Moves, Adds, Changes and Call Handler management. We use version 8.6.2.

Our system is comprised of 19 different buildings, with 1 to 2 Attendant Consoles per building. When our phone network was set up, people who have Attendant Consoles did not want callers to have the option to leave a message if someone is away from their Attendant Console momentarily. Is this best practice? What are most companies doing with their setups?

In addition, in what capacity is the Operator account of value or can it be deleted? We have discovered that if people choose the System Directory Handler, they can "find" their way to the Operator voicemail by pressing "0" and leave a message. However, this voicemail box has not been monitored, thus their are over 300 messages in it.

I know I will have other questions, but if someone has a a good way of setting this up, I would be very thankful.

Laurel

1 Reply 1

garethpeart
Level 3
Level 3

I'll give it a go!

"In addition, in what capacity is the Operator account of value or can it be deleted? We have discovered that if people choose the System Directory Handler, they can "find" their way to the Operator voicemail by pressing "0" and leave a message. However, this voicemail box has not been monitored, thus their are over 300 messages in it.'

You can't actually delete the Operator (It's a default User Account). Just go into the System Directoy Handler, click edit > caller input > if you're feeling bloody minded, choose "hang up" on the "If Caller Presses 0", otherwise either create a new call handler or point it to an existing one.

"Our system is comprised of 19 different buildings, with 1 to 2 Attendant Consoles per building. When our phone network was set up, people who have Attendant Consoles did not want callers to have the option to leave a message if someone is away from their Attendant Console momentarily. Is this best practice? What are most companies doing with their setups?"

I have to deal with both situations. Some locations refuse a voice mail, some want it. It's normally at the wish of the department head. Just make sure that call does not ring forever or otherwise make the caller upset.

Gareth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: