Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection data Import with LDAP integration

tdudas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have some questions on Unity Connection data migration, as some things around this procedure are not clear.

I would like to move VM Boxes (also VM messages) from Unity Connection 7.x to Unity Connection 8.x (two different clusters).

Also there are some users (with cisco IP phones), on 3rd party VM system (Nortel). These users also should have VM box on the new CUC 8.x Cluster.

-> new Unity Connection 8.x Cluster is LDAP integrated

-> NOT all user on the CUCM Cluster will have VM Boxes

If my understanding is correct on these procedure:

1st step: I need to do IMPORT LDAP users* on the new CUC Cluster

*do I have to Import only those users, which will have VM Boxes?

As I think LDAP IMPORT will also create VM Boxes for the imported users, am I right on this? If so, how can I filter users down?

2nd step: COBRAS data Import to new CUC Cluster

Will these users have link with LDAP data?

3rd step: do BAT uers creation with VM box for all those users which need to have VM Box on the new system, but previously they had on 3rd party device.

Can you please share your experience?

Thanks in advance!

Tibor

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Correct, only import users you need mailboxes for, you can build a csv file for it

2. not sure what you are asking here, if you are importing the users in step 1 then step 2 should only be used to import messages

3. Are you talking about BAT users in UCON?  Are these users also in the LDAP, if so include them in step 1

Chris

View solution in original post

You can use csv file to import users directly from LDAP, instead of going to the import users section use the Bulk Administration section and select import users with voicemail box, you need to make sure your csv header includes the "LdapCcmUserId" column header which is the AD username.  Here are sample headers:

Alias

DisplayName

FirstName

LastName

Extension

LdapCcmUserId

TemplateAlias

HTH,

Chris

I think you might be confused about how LDAP works on CUCM and how it works on CUC.

In CUCM you do bring all the users that match the LDAP filter and they show up in the end user page.

In CUC, what you do is that you really enable the ability to import (which basically means create VMs for this matter) from LDAP. It does not bring all users and automatically create mailboxes for them.

Even if you're doing this manually via the GUI, you search your ldap user base(s), and then select which users you want to create a mailbox for.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

14 Replies 14

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Correct, only import users you need mailboxes for, you can build a csv file for it

2. not sure what you are asking here, if you are importing the users in step 1 then step 2 should only be used to import messages

3. Are you talking about BAT users in UCON?  Are these users also in the LDAP, if so include them in step 1

Chris

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, what I think important here is, how can I import only those users from LDAP, which need to have VM Boxes?

Under LDAP Import page there are only options for first name, last name and alias.

In my case there are 17000 users, but only 1500 need to have VM Boxes.

So I need to filter somehow down only those 1500 users from the LDAP directory, as the importation procedure will create VM Boxes for all the imported users. How can I select these 1500 users from the 17000?

One more thing: I also have to consider that several groups of users should be created (as several user templates should be applied).

If my understanding is correct, I can select on users with CSV file only on users, which had been previously imported into Unity Connection.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

Tibor

You can use csv file to import users directly from LDAP, instead of going to the import users section use the Bulk Administration section and select import users with voicemail box, you need to make sure your csv header includes the "LdapCcmUserId" column header which is the AD username.  Here are sample headers:

Alias

DisplayName

FirstName

LastName

Extension

LdapCcmUserId

TemplateAlias

HTH,

Chris

I think you might be confused about how LDAP works on CUCM and how it works on CUC.

In CUCM you do bring all the users that match the LDAP filter and they show up in the end user page.

In CUC, what you do is that you really enable the ability to import (which basically means create VMs for this matter) from LDAP. It does not bring all users and automatically create mailboxes for them.

Even if you're doing this manually via the GUI, you search your ldap user base(s), and then select which users you want to create a mailbox for.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you java!

Regards,

Tibor

Thank You Chris!!!

regards,

Tibor

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your valuable information. Do we need to add the email field column as well, or it will be automatically imported from LDAP.

We have same scenario, I have exported the users from unity connection by selecting users from LDAP. Now I want to create, voice mail for specific users. I tried to export the same file but it give me error. I believe it is not as per the required format. Kindly advise about the format where it should also import the email address with user ID.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/user_mac/guide/8xcucmacx/8xcucmac105.html#67256

Email will automatically come from LDAP. You may consider checking "Generate SMTP Proxy Address From Corporate Email Address" on the user template you are using during the import if single inbox is to be used.

Thanks Chris,

If I am importing user by selecting the voicemail template then still I have to use TemplateAlias in my csv file format.

When you have template defined in the CSV you do not need to do anything, if you do not have it there, then you should select the "override CSV fields when creating user account" to Yes and select appropriate template.

Thanks Chris,

Kindly advise if following template will be enough to import users from LDAP. Right now I am not able to test it as I have to send it to customer.

Thanks in Advance

Alias
DisplayName
FirstName
LastNameExtensionLdapCcmUserId

Yes, as long as you will use the same user template for all users during the import as described in my prior reply.

Thanks Chris, its worked.

Great, please remember to rate all useful posts!

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: