Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection - empty deleted items folder

sahong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an situation where users on my Unity 8.5.1 server are deleting their messages, but the aging rule is not emptying their "deleted items" folder (not sure if I am explaining this right) causing users to recieve "mailbox full".  Cisco TAC says this is a known issue for some users and recommend that we upgrade to a newer release of 8.5 or 8.6.  The issue is our long change management process, I need an interim solution till we can upgrade.  Asking users to manually empty their mailboxes is not an option, we need away to do this from a sysadmin level.

Thanks,

Sam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sam,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Shalu (+5 )

I think the only workaround until you upgrade would be to follow these steps;

Delete Voicemail Without Saving to Deleted Items Folder

Problem

When subscribers delete voice messages within Unity Connection, the messages are automatically moved to the Deleted Items folder. The issue is to find a way to force Unity Connection to automatically erase the voice messages without moving the messages to the Deleted Items folder.

Solution

Complete these steps in order to resolve this issue:

1. Choose Class of Service in the left navigation pane.

2. Choose the class of service and the users who are assigned to that particular class of service in the list.

3. Navigate to Message Options, and check the Delete Messages without saving to the Deleted Items folder check box.

Note: The default setting for this option is disabled (unchecked). Check this check box to indicate that Cisco Unity Connection permanently removes messages when users who are assigned to this class of service delete them. Uncheck the check box to instead have Cisco Unity Connection to move deleted messages to the Deleted Items folder, which allows users to retrieve them later.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/products_tech_note09186a0080a63009.shtml

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

shalushar
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Sam,

Have you tried to Configure message aging to permanently delete messages in the Connection deleted items folder.  and Configure message quotas, so that Connection prompts users to delete messages when their mailboxes approach a specified size.

The possible workaround could be

1)      Increase the amount of messages you can have in your mailbox by increasing mailbox quotas (Message Storage > Mailbox Quotas.).

2)      Decrease the amount of days to wait before permanently deleting deleted items out of the deleted items folder.

In CUC admin page Message Storage > Message Aging Policy)

Also have a look at the section Where deleted Items Go in the below URL http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/unified_messaging/guide/85xcucumg020.html

Tx,

Shalu

Shalu,

Thanks for your responce.  Just to clarify, the users are deleting their messages.  The system is not cleaning up after.  We tested and if the user logs in via CiscoPCA and does the empty "Empty Deleted Items".  It clean up the voicemail box and reset the values.

We don't want users to use CiscoPCA, becasue all users are trained to use CUPC to manage their voicemail.

Thanks,

Sam

Ho Shalu,

Thank you........ for the reply , I am in the process of creating new aging policy , and delete the user issue , as there are approx 2.5K users, was told this is more safer method , hope you agree..., but one concern I have is when you create new aging policy then not sure if you need to restart any services?
ta
Sam

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sam,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Shalu (+5 )

I think the only workaround until you upgrade would be to follow these steps;

Delete Voicemail Without Saving to Deleted Items Folder

Problem

When subscribers delete voice messages within Unity Connection, the messages are automatically moved to the Deleted Items folder. The issue is to find a way to force Unity Connection to automatically erase the voice messages without moving the messages to the Deleted Items folder.

Solution

Complete these steps in order to resolve this issue:

1. Choose Class of Service in the left navigation pane.

2. Choose the class of service and the users who are assigned to that particular class of service in the list.

3. Navigate to Message Options, and check the Delete Messages without saving to the Deleted Items folder check box.

Note: The default setting for this option is disabled (unchecked). Check this check box to indicate that Cisco Unity Connection permanently removes messages when users who are assigned to this class of service delete them. Uncheck the check box to instead have Cisco Unity Connection to move deleted messages to the Deleted Items folder, which allows users to retrieve them later.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/products_tech_note09186a0080a63009.shtml

Cheers!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks.  We implemented the solution.  One note, you still have to have the users manually empty the Deleted items folder, changes the message option does not remove any exisiting deleted items folders already created.

We are running 8.6 and have the same issue.  Anyone know if this has been fixed?  We really do not want to delete them immidiately. 

Cheers Rob , for the prompt reply.

was wondering is any SQL query i could run again the user and delte that way not sure the commands {i have done it for IMP user)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: