Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Unity Connection upgrade - what happens to messages between upgrade and switchover?

Hello All,

I am getting ready to do a Unity Connection upgrade from 7.x to 8.x.  Its been awhile since i did a unity connection upgrade.  I recall when i did the switchover from one partition to the other it took about 45 minutes.  If I remember right, i believe it was because it had to move all the voicemail messages that occurred between the upgrade and switchover.

so my question to everyone is.  Is that still the case?  If i upgrade a unity connection box on Friday morning and do a switchover on saturday afternoon will the switchover take hours to move all the messages left in that time period?

if thats the case i'll do the upgrade closer to when we can do a switch version.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Unity Connection upgrade - what happens to messages between

Hi "K",

The messages are actually stored in a common Partition and are not copied

across. The messages that accumulate between the Upgrade time and the time you

do the "Switch-Version" should not impact to overall time needed to complete the

change

Here's a clip that speaks to this;

Data from the partition where the older version is installed is copied to the partition where the newer version is installed. If changes to the database schema require updates to the format of data, that occurs in this step. Note that messages are stored in a common partition, so they are not copied.

Upgrading Connection 7.x or 8.x Software to the Shipping 8.x Version

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/upgrade/guide/8xcucrug009.html

Cheers!

Rob

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi "K",

The messages are actually stored in a common Partition and are not copied

across. The messages that accumulate between the Upgrade time and the time you

do the "Switch-Version" should not impact to overall time needed to complete the

change

Here's a clip that speaks to this;

Data from the partition where the older version is installed is copied to the partition where the newer version is installed. If changes to the database schema require updates to the format of data, that occurs in this step. Note that messages are stored in a common partition, so they are not copied.

Upgrading Connection 7.x or 8.x Software to the Shipping 8.x Version

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/upgrade/guide/8xcucrug009.html

Cheers!

Rob

Community Member

thanks Rob!

is this also the case with a High Availability Unity Connection cluster?

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi "K",

Yes, this info is applicable to an Active-Active cluster

Cheers!

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content