Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Failover and Standby Redundancy

kraghavansag
Level 1
Level 1

Few questions.

1. Is there a difference between Unity failover and standby redundancy?

2. Is Unity failover supported across WAN?

3. How many servers can be added into one unity cluster?

I was going through lot of documentation and rather getting confused.. help on this is highly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

of course there is, if not, why use 2 concepts for the same thing???

Cisco Unity Failover and Standby Redundancy

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/design/guide/5xcudg070.html

with 5.x and 7.X it's supported

Failover Requirements for Separating Cisco Unity Servers by a WAN

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp567423

the whole thread is about redundancy and failover so if you mean how many servers for failover or redundancy the answer is 2

Comparison of Cisco Unity Failover and Standby Redundancy

Cisco Unity failover provides system-malfunction failover within a data center. Failover consists of two servers, a primary and a secondary. In general, the primary server is active and taking calls, while the secondary is inactive and not taking calls. Any changes to subscriber or configuration data on the primary server are automatically replicated to the secondary server. If the primary server stops functioning for some reason, the secondary server automatically becomes the active server and starts taking calls. The primary server temporarily becomes inactive.

Cisco Unity standby redundancy provides disaster-recovery failover across geographic locations. There are still two servers, a primary and a secondary, but they are installed in separate data centers, commonly in separate cities. If the data center in which the primary server is installed is affected by a natural disaster or other catastrophe, someone in (or with remote access to) the disaster-recovery facility manually activates the secondary server, and the secondary server begins taking calls.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

of course there is, if not, why use 2 concepts for the same thing???

Cisco Unity Failover and Standby Redundancy

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/design/guide/5xcudg070.html

with 5.x and 7.X it's supported

Failover Requirements for Separating Cisco Unity Servers by a WAN

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp567423

the whole thread is about redundancy and failover so if you mean how many servers for failover or redundancy the answer is 2

Comparison of Cisco Unity Failover and Standby Redundancy

Cisco Unity failover provides system-malfunction failover within a data center. Failover consists of two servers, a primary and a secondary. In general, the primary server is active and taking calls, while the secondary is inactive and not taking calls. Any changes to subscriber or configuration data on the primary server are automatically replicated to the secondary server. If the primary server stops functioning for some reason, the secondary server automatically becomes the active server and starts taking calls. The primary server temporarily becomes inactive.

Cisco Unity standby redundancy provides disaster-recovery failover across geographic locations. There are still two servers, a primary and a secondary, but they are installed in separate data centers, commonly in separate cities. If the data center in which the primary server is installed is affected by a natural disaster or other catastrophe, someone in (or with remote access to) the disaster-recovery facility manually activates the secondary server, and the secondary server begins taking calls.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Java,

Thanks for the quick response. Now I understand the difference. I think I was going thru the same system requirements page for failover across WAN where it said minimum delay of 5ms and maximum of 10ms latency between the failover servers. Got lost in the myriad documents I was looking into. :)

I have few more questions now...

1. In case of standby redundancy, wat happens to the data which is on the primary server? Is that something needs to be restored manually on the secondary or the standby redundant server in case of a DR scenario?

2. Can two unity servers (not in a fail-over pair and installed in different sites) home with same exchange cluster. I mean to setup a common voice mail profile, hunt pilot, hunt list and send it to two different line groups. Whichever unity server is active will play the greeting and send mail to the user's mailbox. I will take care of replicating the greetings between the servers.

In the installation what differ when you want to have Active / Standby, I only find the Failover installation manual

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: