cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unity licensing/outside calls

seannoblegray
Level 1
Level 1

I was told when we first setup out IPT that to receive outside calls the phone would need to have a Unity license. Is this correct? If not can someone tell me the work around for this. I think it is sort of silly to pay for Unity licenses for phones that do not need VM(ex.conference phones, service lines)

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

That is not correct.

With CCM 4.x you buy a per phone license (150$ list on 7941/61/60/40 etc, 7905/11/12 etc 80$ list).

With CCM 5.x you buy a DLU (Device license Unity). Each phone requires X amount of licenses. For ex: 7941/61/70/60/71 etc consumes 4 DLUs. 7905/02/11/12 consumes 2 DLUs. To add a 100 7940 phone you would need 400 DLUs purchased.

Unity licensing is separate from phone licensing. Per User that requires voicemail you will need to buy a licenses for either VM or UM depending upon your Unity configuration. Unity also requires X amount of ports (16,32,72,96,144) etc. This is a sepparate license that you buy as well.

Outside calls reaching a phone has nothing to do with phone licensing or Unity licensing.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

ok i understand that for the most part. I am running 4.x and when we purchase the phones we get the phone license with it. However what i would like to do is not use a unity license for out conference phones and have them just ring directly. Is it possible for you to guide me as to where i can learn how to set this up? thanks

Well, with Unity you dont need a license for every phone in the system. The 2 primary Licensing aspects of Unity is:

1. Port License, which is used to decide how many concurrent calls Unity would take.

2. Mailbox, this is only for the Users who use a VoiceMail. So if you have phones which dont use VM, then you dont need a Subscriber license for it. Port license, it again depends on how busy the system is.

Also, if you want the call to hit a Conference phone directly, then I dont see why you would need a Unity related license if Unity is not even in the picture.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: