cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unity unified messaging slow retrival of messages

littledavewhite
Level 1
Level 1

i have a unified messaging system with people in the uk europe and india. When i leave a message for a uk based person the messaging works fine you get the beep after the voice signature asking to leave a message. the unity server is in the UK with a exchange 2003 partner server. When i leave a message for a person in india after the voice signature it can be 5 seconds before the beep. i have a similar issue with delay when retrieving messages. Even from the viewmail application it takes an age to retrieve. I'm convinced its an exchange issue, but need some troublshooting tips so i can go back to the client with an action plan. Any advice would be great.

3 Replies 3

Yorick Petey
Level 4
Level 4

Hi littledavewhite,

I have the same issue with a partner server located in Europe and users with mailboxes in an US Exchange server. The network lines between remote branches are good enough and sufficient for all other usages like VoIP.

So, did you find a cause and fix for your delay issue?

Thank you.

Hi

The design guidelines for Unity state that the Exchange servers containing subscriber mailboxes should be on the same high-speed LAN as the Unity server.

If you have the Unity box in Europe, and mailboxes overseas then you will get delays accessing mail. This would apply whether Unity is trying to access the mail or whether you are trying to access it with Outlook.

If you have a distributed Exchange topology, then each 'site' that has a local Exchange server with Unity subscriber mailboxes on it should have a local Unity server.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts!

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi All

I have seen the guide that aaron suggest. We are in the middle of migrating all exchange users to the UK into a new Data centre so hopefully the issue will go away. At the moment i have managed to get waway with the delay issue, only a handfull of users. server on ever site is a little extreme but i can see why if exchange is involved. Unity connection is a far better solution me thinks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: