cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CUCM 6.1.3 on to new hardware - safest method?

andyhibbert
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a CUCM 6.1(3b)SU1 system (Publisher + 2 Subscribers) that I'm looking to move to a 8.x version on new MCS hardware.

What's the safest way of doing this upgrade?

Ideally I'd like to leave the 6.1 system intact without any changes so I have a fallback system in case there are problems.

Thanks

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct, DRS works only on the exact same version. And you are right, these servers are not going to work with 6.1:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

So, couple of options:

1. If you current servers support version 8.5 upgrade on this platform first

2. Restore on lab VMWare

3. Use Export/Import functionallity instead of upgrade path

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Andy,  Here are possible steps:

1. Take DRS backup
  2. Install CUCM 6.1 on new hardware in isolated network as IP address and hostname need to be the same in order to restore DB
  3. Restore from DRS
  4. Upgrade to desired version
  5. Change Hostname and IP address if both solutions need to be in place at the same time
  6. This will require that you adjust your DHCP scope to point to new IP address as well as all other application integrations will need to be adjusted.

HTH,

Chris

The new servers are type MCS7825I5 which I suspect are not compatible with CUCM 6.1.

I'd rather not do an Bridge Upgrade on the existing hardware.

My concern is what if it fails and corrupts the existing system I don't want to have an office of 1,000+ people without a phone system.

I guess there is no backwards compatibility with DRS backups ? Backup on 6.1 and restore on 8.x ?

Thanks

Hi,

DRS only works for same exact release. So you can not take DRS of 6.1 and upgrade to 8.

As for new hardware not supporting 6.1 release. You will have to either do bridged upgrade if hardware supports or you will have to arrange for other hardware which supports CUCM 6.1 also.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Correct, DRS works only on the exact same version. And you are right, these servers are not going to work with 6.1:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

So, couple of options:

1. If you current servers support version 8.5 upgrade on this platform first

2. Restore on lab VMWare

3. Use Export/Import functionallity instead of upgrade path

HTH,

Chris

The Export / Import option looks interesting. I've never used it but I'm guessing it doesn't contain as much information as a DRS backup?

Correct, it is not a full backup/restore, it basically allows you to export individual entities and then import onto a different system. For example you would export all your CSS/paritions/etc via BAT export. Not everything can be exporteds, so some items i.e. integrations to voicemail will need to be rebuilt manually.

Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Andy,

Just to add a thought here to the good tips from Chris and Ronak (+5 each)

You will need to go through this Master list of server support

Supported Cisco Unified Communications Manager Releases by Server

One possible way to mitigate the risk here would be to take one of your 2 Subs offline, and use it

to build a new Pub in your lab @ 6.1(x). This way you can use it for the DRS restore and the Bridge

upgrade without any impact to your existing build

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: