Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CUCM 6.1.5.10000-10 to 6.1.5.13900-4

Sam V. Xavier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I had a quick question. We are planning to minor upgrade our CUCM but the problem is the new CUCM has lower default firmware than currently running in our system. What my recommendation was to change the device defaults as soon as we carry out switch version on pub as the phone will always look for the firmware version at the device defaults. Once this is carried out we can switch version the other 2 subscribers and the phones should not downgrade the firmware.

Would appreciate any help.

Many Thanks,

Sam Xavier.

9 Replies 9

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

It's not just a case of changing the default setting: You'll have to re-install the firmwares onto your TFTP server(s)

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sam,

I'll just add a note to the great info from Gordon (+5 "G-Man")

Yeah, if you're not careful the phones will actually try to load the "New"

Device defaults which in your case would mean a firmware downgrade for the

phone's. One of the best answers I've seen in regards to preventing this from happening

is from one of my faves Bill Bell from CNC (+5 Bill)

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3063642#3063642

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Hi Rob,

Thanks a lot for your response. I did go through the discussion but there he talks about firmware upgrade which means the new release already has the old firmware load. In my case when I upgrade my CUCM it will not have the new firmware which is currently running in the system. So back to my question, if we just change the firmware under device defaults will the phone still downgrade or will it check and identify that it has the same firmware version under device default and thus move on to register with the call manager?

I think I will have to carry out a lab recreate to confirm this.

Will let you know if this works out.

Regards,

Sam Xavier.

HI Sam

This is what i would do, take a screenshot of the device defaults page.

Turn off the TFTP service on the nodes running the TFTP service.

Perform a switch version on the pub

Restore the device defaults numbers

Perform a switch version of the subs. start the tftp service.

Phones will not upgrade / downgrade the loads

Hi Niket,

Good to hear from you .

Well my confusion was to the fact if the CUCM does not have the firmware installed, if we just place the version name under device default will the phones still work as the version would still be available in the phone cache? I dont have a test lab running these versions thus cannot test.

As of now I decided to downgrade the firmware on the phones to a version which comes under device default on

6.1.5.13900-4. This way, we can upgrade without any husltes.

Regards,

Sam Xavier.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HI Sam,

Sorry I wasn't more clear with my explanation here

The point I was trying to reference is that Bill explains how to prevent the phone firmware from

upgrading during this "patching" process. The same exact principles (and steps) would apply to preventing

the firmware from downgrading as well

Hope this makes more sense.

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Hi Rob,

Yes it did make sense but still the doubt remains if the phones will work with the latest firmware (from cache) eventhough CUCM doesnt have the latest firmware. Any ideas?

Regards,

Sam Xavier.

HI Sam,

Simple concept, if the firmware is present in your TFTP, however if device default is different post upgrade, the phones will upgrade downgrade firmware to what is present on device defaults.

So once the switch version is completed on the pub, change the device defaults to whichever load you want, switch version on TFTP, if the device defaults and the firmware that your phones have match no changes would be performed.

Hope this helps.

Kindly rate useful posts.

Niket

The firmware the phones are running doesn't have to be on the TFTP server. However, if the firmware specified for the phone (either via Device Defaults or via the Device->Firmload Load Information parameters) doesn't match what the phone is running, the phone will try and change to this different version.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: