Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade from 6.1.1 to 10.x

Hi All, I need to upgrade from 6.1.2 to 10.X and was wondering what would be the best strategy. I'm thinking of the following :-

• replicate existing 6.1.2 cluster on UCs servers using OVA V7 template.
  • Upgrade to 6.1.4 or 6.1.5
  • load the cop file
  • use PCB to upgrade directly to 10.X

Any thoughts please.

Thanks

2 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

upgrade from 6.1.1 to 10.x

I'm guessing you meant to say PCD (i.e. Prime Collaboration Deployment), not PCB which isn't an acryonym I'm aware of. The appraoch you mention is certainly the fastest. That said, it's a brand new process so it's a road less traveled. Many of us have done it in the lab but real-life deployments of it are less clear.

The other approach would be to do a jump upgrade as described in 9.1; however, this would represent significantly more time. Here's the decision tree I would make if it helps:

• Do you have a whole weekend-sized change window opportunity?
    • Yes: Use PCD and don't change readdress (i.e. direct replacement). This has the advantage of not needing to deal with the ITL or certificate changes but you need time to thorougly test everything afterward.
    • No: Are you able to assign new IPv4 addresses and hostnames?
      • Yes: Use PCD and readdress during the process. This allows you to run both systems concurrently and test features. You need to account for the ITL file (explained in the PCD docs) and update things like DHCP 150 values though.
      • No: Use the 9.1-era Jump Upgrade process and hop your way toward 10.0 like you would before 10.0 shipped.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Re: upgrade from 6.1.1 to 10.x

Hi Jonathan, Thats a great answer and confirms my understanding. Sorry about the acronym error. I'd probably go for the new names and ip addresses as that would also give me a good fallback route in case there a serious errors and would also give us a platform to do testing and allow us to integrate other systems without interrupting the current production environment.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content