cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade from CUCM 5.1.(3) to CUCM 8.6 !!!

sinisa.djokic
Level 1
Level 1

hi group..

i have pretty basic questions regarding upgrade from CUCM 5.1(3) to CUCM 8.6

but leading into it would take some time - ..

customer is moving from CUCM 5.1 to 8.6 and of course changing HW..

fresh install and copying the config is always an option but we would like to avoid it if possbile since they have pretty complicated config..

so, having in mind that upgrade from 5.1 to 8.6 isn't supported directly here is an option:

1. install 5.1.3 on staging server which HW supports 5.1 and restore the production config using DRS from original server..

2. upgrade it to for example to 6.1.4 and take DRS backup..

3. install 6.1.4 to another staging server which HW supports both 6.1.4 and 8.6..

4. on that server restore the 6.1.4 config using DRS from previous staging server..

5. on that second staging server upgrade 6.1.4 to 8.6 and take DRS backup..

6. finally install 8.6 on new production server ( UCS C-series ) and restore the config using DRS from seconds staging server..

7. license 8.6 and that's it..

so, this is an option..

my questions are:

1. does this plan sounds reasonable or there is a better approach?..

2. what about licensing?..do we need to ask licensing team for temporary licenses for intermediate versions including 5.1.3  on different MAC then original,after that 6.1.4 on both staging servers and 8.6 on second staging server?..

3. do we need to license system in order to use DRS on each or it doesn't have anything with it since we're just using it to move config accross version ?..

thanx..

regards..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Since your hardware do not support the CUCM8.6. This approach which you have given is the best one to get to CUCM 8.6.

Yes you will have to contact licensing team and get the license rehosted to new mac addresses.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Please rate helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ronpatel
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Since your hardware do not support the CUCM8.6. This approach which you have given is the best one to get to CUCM 8.6.

Yes you will have to contact licensing team and get the license rehosted to new mac addresses.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Please rate helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

hi ronak..

o.k.,  thanx..

but i'm just curious did we understood each other correctly..

i'm aware that if i license the staging 8.6 cluster that i need to do rehost license for 8.6 production server..

but my greatest concern is for intermediate versions..

when i install 5.1 on staging server, do i need to rehost the original license we got for 5.1 in order to perform all DRS procedures?..

when i upgrade 5.1 to 6.1 on staging server, do i need to ask licensing team for 6.1 license ( which i don't have ) in order to perform all DRS procedures?..

when i move that upgraded 6.1 from one staging server to another one ( which HW supports 8.6 ) do i need to rehost 6.1 license again in order to perform all DRS procedures?..

when i upgrade it to 8.6 that part even doesn't bother me since we're going to have 8.6 license and we can rehost it...

thanx..

regards..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: