cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from CUCM 7.1.5 to 9.1 (No UCSS and ESW contract)

kasper123
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

we have CUCM 7.1.5 cluster (two servers) with no UCSS and ESW contract.

What would be the best and cheapest way to upgrade to CUCM 9.1.

We are planning to use our VMWare system and buy only CUCM 9.1 software (no servers).

Can the current DLU's be trensfered or do we have to buy everything from scratch.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Deji - My friend, how have you been? Hope you are doing good!  Very nice to see you

always helping others - keep it up! (+5)

Kasper,

As my friend Deji has accurately pointed you please contact your Cisco Channel partner/Account Manager. Just wanted to add you can migrate DLU's but as with CUCM9 you have only UCL or CUWL - depending on the type of licensing you select UCL/CUWL you may need to buy some extra licenses and buy the UCSS. But having said that you can benefit from Cisco's Drive to 9 and can buy this at a really discounted price. Your Cisco representative can explain you all the options in detail.

Thanks,

Terry

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I suggest you contact your cisco channel partner. You can migrate your DLU but you will need to purchase CUCM9.1 server licenses, obtain media etc.

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Deji - My friend, how have you been? Hope you are doing good!  Very nice to see you

always helping others - keep it up! (+5)

Kasper,

As my friend Deji has accurately pointed you please contact your Cisco Channel partner/Account Manager. Just wanted to add you can migrate DLU's but as with CUCM9 you have only UCL or CUWL - depending on the type of licensing you select UCL/CUWL you may need to buy some extra licenses and buy the UCSS. But having said that you can benefit from Cisco's Drive to 9 and can buy this at a really discounted price. Your Cisco representative can explain you all the options in detail.

Thanks,

Terry

Terry, I am well thank you. Long time! Thanks for the nice rating.

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Thanx to both of you for taking the time to respond.

Aparently we can migrate to a new version after we buy MIG-CUCM-USR-A and MIG-CUCM-BASIC-A licenses (acording to the number of respective phones) and UCSS and ESW.

How does this exactly work? Do we give cisco our current licensing MAC address and they see how many DLU's we have or do we have to do something on the current servers to export the licenses? What about unused DLU's?

And in short what exactly is the difference between UCSS and ESW?

Regards.

Hi

Please refer the below links for more information,

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-33806

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-30825

Please rate if this helps

Thanks

Kasper,

How does this exactly work?

The link Kaja has posted contains answers to most of your queries. +5 to Kaja.

Do we give cisco our current licensing  MAC address and they see how many DLU's we have or do we have to do  something on the current servers to export the licenses? What about  unused DLU's?

Yes you provide Cisco with license mac and they can provide you the review. Alternatively you can also download LCU (windows based utility tool) and it will run a report which you can also provide to Cisco. Unused DLUs are explained in the link Kaja provided (top one)

Again for all the above process your Cisco representative should be able to guide you through.

And in short what exactly is the difference between UCSS and ESW?

ESW - Its like smartnet. You get TAC support and get minor upgrades with this.

UCSS - This entitles you to do major upgrades free of cost.

Terry

Thank you!

And regarding the licenses. What kind of license do we need in order to be able to have a desk phone AND jabber mobile for talks (Have the same extension on the desk phone and on the jabber mobile client)? Enhanced, Enhanced plus or maybe CUWL license?

For using Jabber mobile if you go with UCL - you wil need enhanced/enhanced plus. Or you can use CUWL std or pro both. Choose the licensing type based on your needs keeping in mind the future path of your organization. If you go UCL you will need to buy add on licenses for voicemail, webex etc. If you choose CUWL Professional for every user you buy one license - which enables them to use phone, voicemail, webex, jabber etc. Choose according to your needs, now is the time you can upgrade the licensing as you will benefit from discounted prices.

Below tables show the details:

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6882/ps9156/product_solution_overview0900aecd806cc7a4.pdf

Please rate all helpful posts and mark the thread as answered if this resolves your queries.

Terry

Thank you Terry.

You said we need enhanced/enhanced plus for jabber mobile. What is the difference between the two? If we want the same extension on the deskphone AND on jabber mobile at the same time then we have to buy enhanced plus or is enhanced license enough?

best regards.

Not a problem Kasper. Enhanced PLUS is same as Enhanced but just supports two devices. Please see the second table I had inserted in my previous post. If you just want one phone and a Jabber mobile you can go with UCL Enhanced.

Terry

Hi Terry,

The "two devices" part is thing that is confusing me. Aren't the deskphone and the jabber mobile client used at the same time two devices?

Kasper,

Device means phone. Jabber is not counted as a device its a soft client. Its inluced in the enhanced on top of one device i.e one phone.

Terry

Hi Kasper,

Please let us know if you have any further queries or you can mark the thread as answered.

Terry

Terry Cheema wrote:

Kasper,

Device means phone. Jabber is not counted as a device its a soft client. Its inluced in the enhanced on top of one device i.e one phone.

Terry

What about IP communicator? Is that considered a Phone or soft client?

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: