Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

upgrade of cucm

Hi everybody,
I would like to upgrade my current cucm 7.1.5 to be6k 9.1.2 on new servers. First of all is it a recommended upgrade path using jump upgrade? On is it much safer to start a new clean installation?
If i choose the jump upgrade i would like the license from my old cluster that will be converted to cuwl to be valid on the old cluster as long as i need to build configure the new cluster + the cuc. In term of software what i will need bootable cds etc ? Which is the safest path that you recommend?

Regards
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: upgrade of cucm

Yes, thats a jump upgrade, however, you WILL NOT install any licenses as Aman mentioned, you will do so, after you're on 9.1(2) fresh installs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdi
7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

upgrade of cucm

It's really up to you, either will work. Bear in mind a fresh install you will either use BAT or manually move the data as DRS requires the same version from origin to target.

All the documentation is here, as well as the options:

https://communities.cisco.com/community/partner/collaboration/migration

You won't do anything with licenses during the jump upgrade, until you've finished the last step of the DRS into fresh installs. That's when you'll need to engage licensing to migrate what you have on 7.1(3) to 9.1(2).

Yes, you'll need install media for your CUCM 7.1(3) version, as well as for 9.1(2).

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdi

If i decide to go with a clean installation, which is much safer. Is it possible to built a second similar cluster with the same numbering plan connected trough a trunk and perform a phased migration approached branch by branch?
What do you believe is it worth it?

VIP Purple

Hi,

I suppose u have got a similar hardware which supports the existing CUCM and upgrade version as well.

If it is so, then u can do the following steps:

a. take the backup of existing CUCM version  from existing Harwdare.

b. Build the new Hardware with existing version and restore the backup taken from step 1 to this new Hardware.You have to install this hardware in LAB setup with same IPs , Mask and GW.

c. Upload the  new licenses.

d.then, u can upgrade to desired CUCM version.

e. After successful upgrade, put this hardware in production.

regds,

aman

Yes but the i am moving from cucm 7.1.5 to ce6k 9.1.2 will that work for me in a virtualized new ucsc220 server.

Cisco Employee

Yes, thats a jump upgrade, however, you WILL NOT install any licenses as Aman mentioned, you will do so, after you're on 9.1(2) fresh installs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdi

Hi there, after 2 days of experimentation i manage to upgrade my cucm 7.1.5 to 9.1.2 pub. Next week i will do the subs!
The only problem i had was a bug that i was hitting that did not let me upgrade to 9.1.2! Thank you all for your answers!!

Hello Michalis,

As mentioned up here, you have two ways to do this upgrade. For me i tried both of them but from 7.1 to 8.6

MCS to UCS.

- you will need a fresh installation on UCS for 9.1.2 (with the same IP, Hostname, GW, NTP....etc of the running 7.1 cucm)

a) Using BAT:

* export your data from 7.1

* Open these data again with BAT for 9.1

* Restore your new BAT files to the fresh installed 9.1

* Get the Lic MAC then make a licenese rehost by Cisco Licenses.

b)Upgrade Files:

*I think you won't find a direct upgrade file from 7.1 to 9.1

*You will nees a temp server as transite ( let's call it server X) with the same IP, Host name, GW, NTP...etc

* Install the same version 7.1 on the X server

* Take a backup from the running server, then restore it to the X server

* Upgrade to 8.5

* Upgrade to 8.6 ( you will need a COP file forsure)

* Then you can Jump to 9.1

* Now Backup this transite server and restor on the fresh installed 9.1 on UCS

* Licenses rehost is needed now.

- You can make a test lap first before going to the cut off process. get some ip phones and check if they will work corectlly with the new 9.1

- Cut off stage will be done and replace 7.1 with 9.1

- no worries with VM, i already did that.

good luck, and plese let me know the updates.

Regards,
Mohamed Helmy

Regards, Mohamed Helmy
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content