Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading BIOS on IBM MCS-7835-I2 for Unity Platform Configuration CD

richardpierce
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to run the Unity Platform configuration CD on an MCS-7835-I2 server but cant get past the messsage below. The problem is that the solution is to upgrade the BOIS using 3.5" floppy. However the server does not have a 3.5" diskette drive.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Richard.

If you are using a server manufactured by IBM and the following message appears:

"The ServeRAID firmware and BIOS installed on your system must be upgraded or downgraded to be compatible with the RAID drivers on the Cisco Platform Configuration disc. For information on upgrading or downgrading, refer to the Cisco Technical Note Upgrading or Downgrading ServeRAID Firmware and BIOS on IBM Servers on Cisco.com."

do the procedures in the tech note RAID-Controller Firmware and RAID BIOS on IBM Servers Upgrade or Downgrade Procedure at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/tsd_products_support_install_and_upgrade_technotes_list.html (the document title changed).

3 Replies 3

c.donnelly
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Richard - I am in EXACTLY the same boat - now spent over 4 hours trying va

rious methods USB FDD simulators and the like. It is looking like I will h

ave to fork out for a USB Floppy Drive and try and find some 3.5 FDD's

- Cisco you need to avoid these ridiculous situations.

Regards,

Chris

emikelso
Level 4
Level 4

I just had to do this. I could find any other work around, but luckily had a usb floppy drive and

a couple disks. I think it actually downgraded the RAID. In the middle of the Wind 2003 install now. It successfully passed where the error hung me up.

I've seen this during upgrade of customer systems when they decide to use older hardware such as the I1 or I2 series

servers.  The solution that worked best (IMO) is to proceed with the Windows OS installation first (i.e., skip the Platform Configuration Disc) - if you have ordered an upgrade, you likely have a generic H1/H2 or I1/I2 disc that simply contains the OS.  Once you've installed the Windows OS, you can download the latest IBM drivers or use the disc that came with your system (if you still have it) to install the extra utiltiies including ServeRAID and etc.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: