Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading CUCM 5.1(3) to 6.1(2)

cjhunt
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I have an upcoming upgrade for a customer from 5.1(3) to 6.1(2) and then soon onto 6.1(3).

We have everything ready to go, except the customer is worried about the need to re-login all EM profiles. We have a LOT of phones.

Is this going to affect us? I could see how this is the case from 4.x, using DMA, but any experience welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

8 Replies 8

pradeepde
Level 5
Level 5

Before Upgrade disable the Cisco Extension Mobility service. Navigate to Cisco Unified Serviceability > Tools > Service Activation. Be aware that when you deactivate the Cisco Extension Mobility service, Cisco Extension Mobility users will not be able to log in and log out of phones that support Cisco Extension Mobility.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_1_3/upgrd613.html

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure about the relevance of the 4.1 to 6.1 document you sent, as I'm doing 5.1(3) to 6.1(2).

Stopping the EM service will in my view only prevent any users changing their phone's state.

I don't see this being a problem as the phone's active profile is stored in the database, so this should be preserved, right?

FYI one of my colleagues already did a 5.1(3) to 6.1(2) upgrade this weekend and it DID NOT log out the users, so there's my answer then.

/Chris

I think you also need a S/W feature license to go to 6.x from 5.x

Hi,

Yes, we used the procedure for the Product Upgrade Tool to obtain this.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

Can you please give some informations about the upgrade from CUCM 5.1 to 6.1.

Thank you.

Sure, I can provide some information.

I performed the upgrade just this Saturday and it seems to have gone just fine.

Here's what we did in a nutshell:

Customer purchased the upgrade licenses (SASU contract) and we used the PUT (Product Upgrade Tool) to register these and obtain the licenses and software for the upgrade.

We registered the PAK codes using the publisher MAC address.

We were sent software for 6.1(3) with the upgrade - this is what Cisco are shipping now, not 6.1(2-x). We thus went straight to this version using the 6.1(3) upgrade disk (CUCM Upgrade 5.x to 6.1(3) media).

We did the publisher first choosing NOT to switch to the upgraded partition.

We then did the primary TFTP server in the cluster and then the subscribers.

Once we had all nodes ready, we switched partitions in the same order as above.

Monitoring was maintained using RTMT (you'll need to download the newer plugin once your 6.1(x) is running). After around 15 minutes after the final node was switched, DB Replication was good throughout the cluster.

Are there any specific things you want to know? I followed the Cisco documentation where possible and all seems to have worked just fine.

/Chris

Hi chris,

Thank you a lot for your answer.

i need just some Url for cisco documentation??

best regards

naoufal

Naoufal,

Well, Cisco provide plenty of documentation. I would suggest searching on Cisco.com for the string

CUCM 5.x to 6.x Upgrade

Which provides several results including the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/6_1_3/cucm-rel_note-613.html

/Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: