Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a channel bank as a way to get 24 FXS ports for POTS phones

bbiandov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Instead of getting bunch of FXS WIC cards I would like to use a channel bank with FXS ports and connect it via CAS T1 (cross over cable) to the voice router.

The 24 POTS phones are attached to the channel bank and voila - lots of analog extentions.

Is there an example config of how to setup the voice ports and CAS on the serial controller? I have dual T1/PRI card

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Glad to know it'[s fine, please remember to rate useful posts using the scrollbox below!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, yes you can do that, but you will find that channel banks can be expensive. Better choice would be a VG224, or tne new linksys SPA8000 thta has eight ports, very cheap and feature rich.

Thanks

The linksys is a good idea, however I already have a stack of carrier access channel banks laying around.

Still back to the point - I suppose the config will be identical regardless of whether the end device is channel bank or one of those link sys boxes correct?

If yes could you post a sample?

Thanks

No, the linksys is an IP/SIP device.

If you have the channel banks already (carrier access is a reputable brand), config is very simple:

controller T1 x/y

clock source internal

ds0-group 1 timeslots 1 type fxs

You will end with as many voice ports, to reference as port under DP.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi,

that worked, thank you

ds0-group 1 timeslots 1 type fxs creates the voice port, which can then be manipulated just as any other voice port regardless of the fact that the voice port itself (physically speaking) is NOTZ on the router but it is on a card inserted into the channel bank chassis.

thanks

boyan

Glad to know it'[s fine, please remember to rate useful posts using the scrollbox below!