Views
Helpful
Replies

VG224 Fax and Phones

jheckart
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I will be deploying quite a few VG224's where analog phones and faxes will be needed.

I need to be able to bulk add, so am leaning towards sccp, but will also have faxing, so was considering mgcp also.

Does anyone typically run both skinny and mgcp on the gateway to accomplish this, or are most running sccp, and not having faxing issues?

Thanks,

Jeff

5 Replies 5

alijames
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeff,

You cannot run both MGCP & SCCP on a gateway. One or the other only, although you can of course have a gateway running MGCP and another running SCCP.

I have some faxes running OK on VG224s running SCCP.

I have not tried it, but I believe you can also use BAT with MGCP gateways if you prefer.

Cheers,

Alistair

Hey Alistair,

I'm actually running both on a single gateway. You can configure both mgcp and sccp on the gateway, and create both gateway types in ccm. Then, the dial-peer determines whether the voice-port will use skinny or mgcp.

It works great, but I think it could be difficult for someone else to troubleshoot, and work with in the future.

The BAT with mgcp will only configure the ports, but will do nothing with the line, so it still requires a lot of manual configuration.

I was just looking for a general recommendation to support fax and phone. In my past experience, I have had some issues with faxing over sccp that mgcp has resolved. I'm just not sure that deploying the hybrid mgcp/sccp solution is the way to go.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi, can you please show me the configuration on the voice gateway (PSTN) and the sccp VG224 that allow the inbound and outbound fax service.

Thanks in advanced,

Jose

Hi

You mention that you have some faxes running ok on VG224's running SCCP. What version are you ruuning on the VG224. Apart from fax machines what other devices are connected to the VG224?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: