Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG248 was replaced, has old MAC address in CM

A VG248 was replaced and nothing was done to the CallManager. When the new VG248 came up, it registered with the CallManger with the previous MAC address. All of the phones and FAXes are working on the new VG248. Can I leave it this way, will it cause problems in the future? Or, should I delete it and re-add it with the new MAC address. If so, what would be the exact procedure for doing that? This is version 1.2.1. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Its been a while i have used a VG248 (its EOL too). Cant you just change the mac of the vG248 on the CM. It uses only 10 digits of the mac. If not you may want to export the settings of VG248 using bat and then reimport them back using BAT after deleting old vg248.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for the response. The MAC address is grayed out, it can't be changed. So, I thought that I would have to delete it and re-add it. I've never worked with these before as far as configuration. You are saying to export using the BAT to a file, then delete the old VG and add the new VG and import the config using the file?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi D.Anthony,

I wouldn't leave it as is. I think the first time it resets you will have problems based on the MAC address.

Have a look at and make note of the specific settings on the VG (via console or telnet) before doing any changes. When you are ready you can go to the Device>Gateway Page on CCM and and change the MAC address from old to new and reset.

I think doing this under a management window rather than "on the fly" is really the way to go.

Hope this helps!

Rob

EDIT: Shanky, my "misfit" typing skills have let me down again:(

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: