cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VIC2-2FXO card installed but unable to configure

zzbronski
Level 1
Level 1

I installed a VIC2-2FXO= into my 3845 router and am unable to configure the voice-port. I keep getting "unrecognized command" or "invalid input detected..." when I enter the following:

flmai002-r02(config)#voice-port 0/3/0

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I have another 3845 which has the exact same card installed and it is working fine. I have already tested the card to see if it was bad and it is good and works in the other router. The ios versions are the same on both routers too. I have tried all 4 sub-slots in slot 0 on the router and get the same result. Could I have a bad slot 0 in this router or am I just missing some enable command for the card? Please help. I attached a text file of the show inventory command for reference.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

For the voice cards to work you need to have DSP resources available on the router which is in form of PVDMs.

Your card has ben deteted properly by the router.

Check if you have enough DSPs on the router and paste the show diag output here.

-> Sushil

View solution in original post

Hi,

When you do a show diag and you have PVDM installed, your output should look like this, for example:

PVDM Slot 0:

64-channel (G.711) Voice/Fax PVDMII DSP SIMM PVDM daughter card

Check this to see how to install and remove PVDMs in 3800 series router:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/3800/hardware/installation/guide/38comp.html

Regards,

- adrián.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Adrian Saavedra
Level 7
Level 7

Hi friend,

Check with show diag if you have a PVDM installed in your router. If you don't have any installed, its not possible to use voice-ports.

Regards,

- adrián.

Ok, I see PVDM on the router that has the working fxo card but not on the one in question. How am I supposed to get this PVDM in the router? Is it another card or software?

Yes its another module on the router which get istalled on the PVDM slot of the router.

Hi friend,

Check this link to see what are PVDMs.

Installing and Upgrading Internal Components in Cisco 3800 Series Routers:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/3800/hardware/installation/guide/38comp.html#wp1008782

When you plan to use your router as voice gateway, you have to purchase it with PVDMs. If your router actually doesn't have PVDM, you have to buy it.

Regards,

- adrián.

Hi,

For the voice cards to work you need to have DSP resources available on the router which is in form of PVDMs.

Your card has ben deteted properly by the router.

Check if you have enough DSPs on the router and paste the show diag output here.

-> Sushil

Ok, here is the show diag output. I am a bit confused about PVDM whether it is another card I have to install before I install the vic2-2fxo card? You mention DSP resources being available. Could it be that I have too many cards installed in this router? The fxo card is the only card in slot 0.

Hi,

When you do a show diag and you have PVDM installed, your output should look like this, for example:

PVDM Slot 0:

64-channel (G.711) Voice/Fax PVDMII DSP SIMM PVDM daughter card

Check this to see how to install and remove PVDMs in 3800 series router:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/3800/hardware/installation/guide/38comp.html

Regards,

- adrián.

Thanks for all the help. I opened up a spare router and noticed that all the pvdm slots were empty. Then I looked at Cisco for pricing and found that there is a voice bundle that you can choose when ordering the 3845 routers which includes the pvdm modules already installed. I am ordering the modules today for install so we can finish the configuration of the fxo card.

Hi friend,

Glad to see that your configuration will work very soon!

Regards,

- adrián.

you'll have to do this off hours because you will have to shut down the router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: