cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMWare

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

I`m looking to set up a lab in our company so to test the different CUCM applications. I understand

with VMWare you can have a bare metal version with no OS or a VM server with an underlining OS - what is the best apporoach and why ?

thanks

3 Replies 3

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The bare metal approach takes less resources (CPU, Memory, etc.) from the host leaving these available for the guest(s). If you have hardware to support it, this is the option I would recommend.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

minghui.qi
Level 1
Level 1

I think you are refering to the VMware ESX and ESXi, ESX installs with a "OS" called service console which is based on linux, it allows you to install third party mgmt tools and things like that. ESXi is the almost same as ESX but without the "OS", hypervisor only. you need to pay for ESX, but ESXi is free, they both run on server class hardware.

Other options are VMware Workstation - not free, and VMware Server - free. These run on normal PC hardware

as far as CUCM testing goes, I don't think these products make much difference.

I am using VMware Workstation just because I already have it. I am pretty sure the free VMware Sever does the job just fine.

HTH

ming

ritsonr
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running ESXi 4.0 on a DL580 server, we use the vSphere client to administrate the virtual machines, setup networking etc. It's all free and works a treat. Version 7 of cucm is also compatible with VMWare for lab purposes...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: