Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Voice labs without FXS/FXO

Hi, I am a newbie in voip.

If I have a Cat 3550 Inlinepower and (3) 2610 running XM images with voice support and (2) IP phones, how far can I go with my practice of voip ?

My goal is to learn voip well enough to have an understanding of voip implementations in a production environment. Please advise whether I can work on multiple labs with my existing equipment, or whether in order to get more challenging I should integrate the voip lab with my analog phone network (POTS).

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Voice labs without FXS/FXO

I would say FXO and FXS ports will be very useful, but not necessary. At both companies I've worked for, they used IP Phones and then mostly PRIs or T1s to connect to the PSTN, with just a few FXO ports around to do 911. To provide service to faxes and modems, then used VG224s.

If you do decided to an FXO and/or FXS ports to a 2600, 3600 or VG200 the cost isn't that bad. Plan to spend $150 for a NM-2V and about $50 each for VIC-2FXO and VIC-2FXS cards.

Views
Helpful
Replies