cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice PRI over T3

tglidewell
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a 3845 router running my data and VoIP systems. With that, I have 11 data T1's and a single PRI T1. My local telco is pushing me to upgrade to a channelized T3. If I upgrade my router to the T3-NM module, will this support my PRI as well, or do I need to keep it as a separate T1 connection?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There is no channelized T3 module for the ISR routers. The NM-1T3 does not support channelized.

As I mentioned the smaller module you can use is a PA on the 7200 that is not very cost convenient as you are using only 11 t1s out of the 28 that a CT3 can carry. But certainly makes cabling simpler.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

aamercado
Level 4
Level 4

You probably need to speak with Telco?

I know with a T1, you can split some channels for data and others for voice as a CAS line. Not sure if you can do the same for T3 but you would need to talk to telco about that. If possible, you would also need to compare cost and etc..

If not possible, well that answers your questions.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

the channelized T3 module (that does not exists for the 3845, but only for 7200 and up) does not support T1 voice.

So it seems like you need to keep things separated for now.

hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

By leaving the PRI alone, is there a T3 module for my router that will replace the 11 T1's? I've never dealt with a T3 setup before, so I'm a little lost.

There is no channelized T3 module for the ISR routers. The NM-1T3 does not support channelized.

As I mentioned the smaller module you can use is a PA on the 7200 that is not very cost convenient as you are using only 11 t1s out of the 28 that a CT3 can carry. But certainly makes cabling simpler.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

djones
Level 5
Level 5

You can always just purchase a Adtran MUX for CT3 and call it a day. No reduction in the router, but the T3 is cheaper. Tell your Telco you want them to provide a CT3 Mux as part of the contract.