Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice translation question

Will Phinney
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning everyone,

I had a basics question that I can't wrap my head around. I know voice translation are put on your cube to translate calls, but why not just send all destination traffice straight to your cucm? I've looked and the best documentation I can see is showing how to implement the translation, but no documenation on why.

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's not a reason to have a CUBE, you can do translation in there if needed, or directly on CUCM.

A direct SIP trunk is certainly technically feasible, but it is an inflexible and insecure solution and therefore strongly NOT recommended.

Reasons to terminate a SIP trunk on an enterprise demarc such as CUBE include but are not limited to:

- Lack of call admission control (SLA enforcement and DOS attack mitigation) on the SIP trunk

- Visibility of the CUCM and endpoint IP addresses to the SP network (and therefore to potential hackers)

- Very limited SIP trunk load balancing and redundancy capabilities

- No SIP trunk sharing between multiple CUCM clusters or other IP-PBX/proxy call agents in the enterprise

- No SIP malformed packet or other protocol level attack mitigation for your CUCM

- No way to troubleshoot voice quality problems to determine if it's your network or the SPs network at fault

- Much more limited toll fraud prevention techniques on the SIP trunk

- No way to control IP QoS settings on the incoming packets from the SP, and no way to customize them on the outgoing packets

- No way to manipulate SIP msging from the SP before it hits your CUCM to customize it to what CUCM/IP-PBX prefers to see

- Limited means of complying to the SP UNI (SIP msg manipulation on outbound msgs to the SP, and capabilities such as early-offer)

- Having to implement the SP UNI on CUCM instead of your enterprise preferred policies (and having to replicate this on every CUCM and IP-PBX routing calls to the SIP trunk)

- Having no way of doing a SIP registration to the SP when this is required on the SIP trunk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

So why have the voice translation then on the cube?