cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP & analog port for all-in-one printer

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, imagine I have fax+copier+printer.

Basically I need to provide analog ports for the fax portion.

My understanding is that I can extend "analog" services coming for the VoIP controller. Basically the VoIP controller would convert analog services into digital. Is that right?

That said, how many RJ-45(?) do I need to provide to the printer? Someone told I should provide two Ethernet network drops to support such printer. Please advise.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sgrice8035
Level 1
Level 1

One ethernet for network printing and another for analog. At our facility we use the ata 186 which lives in the closet and jumper rj11 across cat5 to the printer/fax machine.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

sgrice8035
Level 1
Level 1

One ethernet for network printing and another for analog. At our facility we use the ata 186 which lives in the closet and jumper rj11 across cat5 to the printer/fax machine.

Thanks.

Just to confirm, you connect both ports to switches/VoIP, correct?

I mean, I do not necessarily need a PSTN analog line to make the analog, fax port to work, right?

Hi Marlon,

Just to follow up on the good info from Scott :) You will require 2 Drops at the MFP (Multi Function Printer) location. In the wiring closet 1 drop will be patched directly into the Switch (for the Printer) and the other will connect to the ATA (which is connected to the switch). The ATA (Analog Telephone Adaptor) will provide the Analog line for the Fax service. No PSTN Line will be required in this scenario :)

Analog Telephone Adaptors

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/gatecont/ps514/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

Hope this helps!

Rob